Lytis 1st Turkey! Proud Dad!

SWIFFY

5 year old buck +
Well me and my little 9 year old Lyti have been trying to get a Turkey the last couple years. Each year she’s learning and understanding more and getting to be more patient. We’ve had a few close calls so far but Wednesday night we finally sealed the deal on “Big Ben”! He came in on the wrong side of the blind, but we improvised and she slammed him all by herself! I’m so proud of her and she is so proud of herself for getting it done! And now she’s got a Turkey and her mom and sister haven’t! Pretty special day!

He’s 25.22 lbs, 1 1/4” spurs, 9” beard…
69FBF353-460C-4B84-B0C4-D6057591B721.jpegC25C45C3-92E2-4CDE-9F74-06CA7C45B82A.jpegF0094077-F34D-4CB6-AC7E-F65B66C2B28E.jpeg5D91346A-E158-4988-A138-552F8EE52EA4.jpegE905AFDC-3A7C-4A2A-B706-1FDB31BC4809.jpegF01FBF1A-2F6D-451B-8E74-16BA2680F1E8.jpeg

Well me and my little 9 year old Lyti have been trying to get a Turkey the last couple years. Each year she’s learning and understanding more and getting to be more patient. We’ve had a few close calls so far but Wednesday night we finally sealed the deal on “Big Ben”! He came in on the wrong side of the blind, but we improvised and she slammed him all by herself! I’m so proud of her and she is so proud of herself for getting it done! And now she’s got a Turkey and her mom and sister haven’t! Pretty special day!

He’s 25.22 lbs, 1 1/4” spurs, 9” beard…

Awesome job Swiffy! Great pics.

What's she using for a shotgun? Is that a 20 gauge?

That’s cool!

I think Big Ben is Bigger then Lyti

Awesome job Swiffy! Great pics.

What's she using for a shotgun? Is that a 20 gauge?

Thanks! Yep its an 870 Youth Express 20 gauge with a Red Dot and a Carlsons turkey choke. I just put 1 shell in it. Worked great. Its the gun my dad got for me 28 years ago.

That’s cool!

I thin Big Ben is Bigger then Lyti

Thanks Bill! It was about as big as her! She could lift it but not really carry it. Fun stuff!

Great job Lyti! And great job dad. Great pictures.

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yep its an 870 Youth Express 20 gauge with a Red Dot and a Carlsons turkey choke. I just put 1 shell in it. Worked great. Its the gun my dad got for me 28 years ago.

Thanks Swiffy. Heading out with my 11 year old son this AM. Been going out a few years now but have yet to connect. We're using my father's (his Grampa's) Stevens 54a bolt action in .410 with Federal's TSS turkey rounds. I think next year we're moving to a 20 gauge.

I didn't anticipate my 10 year old being ready for this spring's turkey season, so I hadn't applied for a full season tag. He showed me he was ready, so we quickly put together a gun and were only able to buy a youth tag for the 4 day season. It's my old 20 ga Mossberg and we bought the Carlsons choke made for Cabelas. Took a shot at 25 yards with Federal TSS 9 and there must be 200 pellets in the 10" ring. I'll count them. Good luck to you guys this morn, Natty. Hope he has a fun hunt. I bet Lyti is still on cloud nine.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! That is awesome. She sure looks happy. I would love to have seen the excitement right before and after she dropped that beast. One heck of a bird. Those are some wicked spurs.

Thanks Swiffy. Heading out with my 11 year old son this AM. Been going out a few years now but have yet to connect. We're using my father's (his Grampa's) Stevens 54a bolt action in .410 with Federal's TSS turkey rounds. I think next year we're moving to a 20 gauge.
I was about to jump on a CVA single shot .410, but the way shells are impossible to find, and the way these kids grow... I figured she could handle the 20 gauge for one shot a few times! She actually commented how she doesn't like to shoot it (as much as the .22s) because of the kick, but she said she didn't even notice it when Big Ben was standing in front of her! That's how it's supposed to be, I said, ADRENALINE :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was about to jump on a CVA single shot .410, but the way shells are impossible to find, and the way these kids grow... I figured she could handle the 20 gauge for one shot a few times! She actually commented how she doesn't like to shoot it (as much as the .22s) because of the kick, but she said she didn't even notice it when Big Ben was standing in front of her! That's how it's supposed to be, I said, ADRENALINE :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That's awesome Swiffy. Yeah I hear you about the .410 ammo. Plus TSS ammo, even if you can find it, is $40 for a box of 5. Just ridiculous. I had 3 rounds from last year left over. But I won't be buying any more of that.

I showed my kid the pic of Lyti. He's a little nervous to try a 20 gauge. I said "if that little girl can do it, you'll be able to as well." Made him feel better about trying a 20.

I just used Hi Power 5's... like a 2 3/4" pheasant load. They patterned great and I figured she wouldnt be shooting over 30 yards or so anyway.

He'll do just fine! When a nice turkey comes strutting in front of him the last thing hes going to think about is if the 20 gauge is going to hurt more!!

Good luck!

Outstanding! Can't ask for a better feeling than that!

Congrats. That's a heck of a bird.

That is so awesome bud, congrats to your young lady!!

That's awesome-

I finally tagged out this morning just in time to take out my visiting nephew for the next two days! Hope he has the same luck as your daughter!

Congrats @SWIFFY ! Awesome pics!