Low hours International for a good price - $3500

??? 9382 hours.

Last digit is tenths. ;)

Maybe. :) That's under the old meter where it doesn't spin full speed unless the engine is up over 2Krpm.

Still doesn't look bad for the price if the mechanicals check out.

It has 9384 hours assuming the meter still works, the alternating black and white indicator on the far right is incremented in tenths (I think it has 10 marks). The tires have far more than 1000 hours and one front tire has been replaced. Also some work has been done to the PTO, notice the replaced yellow cover plate. Also, the seat has been replaced. If that tractor had only 1000 hours on it, it was abused. I assume the lights are in the wrong spot because they interfered with a snow blower or front blade (blowing snow?) in their original locations?

It might still be a fine tractor, but in my area of the world 3400 is too expensive for it.

That hour gauge looks to be in to good of shape compared to the rest of the tractor.

Well the ad does say "the hour meter says...", it does not say that the tractor has that many hours specifically.;)

Last edited:
It has 9384 hours assuming the meter still works, the alternating black and white indicator on the far right is incremented in tenths (I think it has 10 marks). The tires have far more than 1000 hours and one front tire has been replaced. Also some work has been done to the PTO, notice the replaced yellow cover plate. Also, the seat has been replaced. If that tractor had only 1000 hours on it, it was abused. I assume the lights are in the wrong spot because they interfered with a snow blower or front blade (blowing snow?) in their original locations?

It might still be a fine tractor, but in my area of the world 3400 is too expensive for it.

I have the same hr meter on a 1965, 706IH tractor. Last one is in tenths and makes it either 938.4 hrs or 10,938.4 hrs. No way that tractor is under 1,000 hrs. The Tractor is 55 years old or better and that means it only has to accumulate 200 hrs a year to get to 10,000 hrs if my 10th grade math is correct.

I still don't think it looks bad for a 54 year old tractor for under 4K. Would you guys be happier if he did a rustoleum restoration on it like all the 8N's get?

How many tractors this vintage are still running their original rubber? I don't think this was shedded, so the paint is rough, and it's been used so it's got a couple dings (we have tornados too ya know). My fender mash happened 20 minutes after it came off the trailer from South Dakota. Does that mean my hour meter is broken because my tractor had 59.4 hours on it at the time?

Maybe it is 10.9Khrs. Maybe it's 20.9? Maybe it's broken... I don't think it's in bad shape for the asking price. We're in the rust belt and things get exposed to salt. I bet this guy's done nothing but plow his driveway with it for the past 2 decades. I rack up 2 miles a winter on my atv doing that in suburbia - 5 hours clock time in a really bad year. Look at the guys lawn - he's not finish mowing it with this.

I'm sure its a fine tractor. You can hardly kill those IH tractors!! I just think its a little steep in price, at least for my area, YRMV. I bought my Ford 601 (641), which is nearly identical in age and power to this 240, for $2000 and it came with a bush hog.

On the rustoleum restorations .... I once pissed a guy off so bad he told me to leave. I told him, "I would have offered more if it didn't have that horrible paint all over it."