Lost Apple Project Scions

letemgrow

5 year old buck +
Anyone order scions this year?

I bit on the Celestia, Ivanhoe, Nero and Steptoe varieties to try this year.

Once Lost (Re-Discovered) Apple Varieties
Almota +dessert
Arkansas Beauty +dessert
Butter Sweet of Pennsylvania +dessert
Celestia +dessert
Claribel +dessert
Colman +dessert
Dickinson +dessert +keeper
Elkhorn +dessert
Ewalt +dessert +keeper (til April)
Excelsior +dessert +very cold hardy +small
Fall Jeneting +dessert +cooking
Frazier's Prolific +baking
Givens +dessert
Gold Ridge +dessert
Iowa Flat +dessert
Ivanhoe +dessert
Kay +dessert
Kittageskee +dessert +small
Mihalyfi +dessert
Nero +dessert +small
Regmalard +dessert
Sary Sinap +dessert + very early summer (sorry - not available for 2023, but we expect to have scions for 2024 )
Shackleford +dessert +keeper
Streaked Pippin +dessert
Steptoe +dessert

Last edited:
I have Shackelford, Celestia, Elkhorn and Ivanhoe coming. Last year I grafted Streaked Pippin, Nero, Gold Ridge Ewalt and Kittageskee

I'm hoping to have some apples off of gold ridge and ewalt grafts this year.

This has my interest. What or where are you ordering these Scions from? I ordered a handful from Fruitwood Nursery this year.

Are you guys grafting these "lost apples" just to preserve them, or do you have a commercial / self-use interest for them?? Just curious.

Are you guys grafting these "lost apples" just to preserve them, or do you have a commercial / self-use interest for them?? Just curious.

For me it's both, gotta try them out to see how good they are, and there's only one feasible way for me to obtain those apples.

I enjoy preserving them but the Ewalt is of specail interest to me. It was discovered before 1800 on a farm about a dozen miles from my house.
For me it's both, gotta try them out to see how good they are, and there's only one feasible way for me to obtain those apples.
Great work gentlemen!!!

Its kind of fun running around and finding some of these wild apples that my just be the next great thing! Around here we are losing a lot of treasures as the old farm pastures loaded with wild apples and crabs become residential lots.

The hunt for rare ones has to be as much fun.

Its kind of fun running around and finding some of these wild apples that my just be the next great thing! Around here we are losing a lot of treasures as the old farm pastures loaded with wild apples and crabs become residential lots.

The hunt for rare ones has to be as much fun.

You found anything else recently?

I have one on my property in oh that I just got some scions off of and grafted to rootstock. Hope they take. I also just found an old apple tree in the woods near my stand. I need to trim it up and hope to get some new growth I can graft. I need to get some more rootstock. Where is the best place? I’d want a standard size tree.

I have no idea what kind of apples they are, but the trees are massive, so they are old.

Secured a stick of Colorado Orange this Spring. Interesting write-up on the search for this for this variety (thought to be extinct) in the link below. In addition to the taste, it's said to be a late dropper.

You found anything else recently?
I cut scion off of a tree in a subdivision last week, it was a tree that was growing in the middle of the field when they developed the land. Homeowner's dad has the development... tree was growing when they built the house, his kids love the apples off of it,.... tree looks heathy so fingers crossed. I pulled scion off of another ditch apple tree I found with late hanging large apples - added those to the mix. There are so many wild apple trees around here a guy should be out tasting them, making notes and seeing how long they hang. Could be a full time job. Im retiring from the fire dept this summer so things have been busy winding with paper work and last minute things not as much time as I would like. We have been buried in snow up here too so hiking back in on some of these trees is tough. I have one more for sure I want to try and get scion off of.

I have one on my property in oh that I just got some scions off of and grafted to rootstock. Hope they take. I also just found an old apple tree in the woods near my stand. I need to trim it up and hope to get some new growth I can graft. I need to get some more rootstock. Where is the best place? I’d want a standard size tree.
willamettenurseries.com has been my go to place, though its a bit late to find rootstock now, you'll have to look and I was ordering a hundred plus a year. There are places where you can order much smaller numbers but you pay more per tree.

Elkhorn, Arkansas Beauty, and Givens are all Arkansas apple varieties which 9 out of 10 of my deer prefer.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I cut scion off of a tree in a subdivision last week, it was a tree that was growing in the middle of the field when they developed the land. Homeowner's dad has the development... tree was growing when they built the house, his kids love the apples off of it,.... tree looks heathy so fingers crossed. I pulled scion off of another ditch apple tree I found with late hanging large apples - added those to the mix. There are so many wild apple trees around here a guy should be out tasting them, making notes and seeing how long they hang. Could be a full time job. Im retiring from the fire dept this summer so things have been busy winding with paper work and last minute things not as much time as I would like. We have been buried in snow up here too so hiking back in on some of these trees is tough. I have one more for sure I want to try and get scion off of.

Sounds like you have your retirement figured out