Looking for a good logger in Minnesota

I have 30 acres of woods that I would like to do some logging of mostly sugar maple. The dnr forester came out and was fairly impressed with the trees. He did not give me an estimate of what was out there for volume but he did say it would be worth my while to look at getting a logger or do it myself. I would do it myself but I am not sure where to market that much maple. I could get it trucked if I found a market farther away.

Currently it is a biological desert if you ask me and I want better habitat for future hunting opportunities.

The other thought I had was to do some syrup production out there, but again I am not that familiar with syrup production. I would guess I have 100-150 maple trees per acre that I could tap.

I am never afraid to go all in on anything I do, so throw some ideas at me. TIA

Can't help with loggers in your area but would caution about going the syrup route unless you plan to stick with it for a long term plan. Basically tapping trees causes discoloration in the sapwood immediately above the taps which is the butt section of the log (usually the most valuable) and in maples the more white sap wood the better for value. So if you plan on doing some syrup for a few years and than try logging, likely you will lower the value of the timber much more than the $$ obtained from syrup operations. If you think you want do syrup for the long term that's a good way to make some $$ but just realize any potential for veneer or high value logs is impacted for the bottom part of the tree but you probably won't care if you aren't gonna cut em anyway

How about looking for a good private forester first.I couldn't be more happier with mine. A good forester should know (like rocks told me) the market for what you have on your property. The trees he marked I was surprised were even worth cutting.Even the WI DNR pamphlet said to hire a forester.They said 90% of the time you will get more money even after paying the forester than just hiring a logger. It is nice having somebody who knows what they are doing on your side. I have heard way to many bad experiences with dishonest loggers to put my full trust in one. I'm pretty sure if I had just went and talked to loggers to cut my woods they would of wanted to hi-grade(take the nice valuable trees and leave the junk there. My forester did just the opposite marking mostly all the poor quality trees to be cut now,letting the valuable trees to thrive with less competition.Making a forest of mostly healthy valuable trees for the next select cut in 15-20 years. He also got me a decent price and is making sure the cutting is done right and the woods is left in the proper condition when cutting is done. I can't say enough I would get yourself a good forester first.

Ruskbucks, what is the % rate that you were charged. I am looking at logging off some property in Northern MN, and have recieved a few quotes, but I honestly don't know what is the fair price to pay for these services.

Ruskbucks, what is the % rate that you were charged. I am looking at logging off some property in Northern MN, and have recieved a few quotes, but I honestly don't know what is the fair price to pay for these services.
My forester worked at a hourly rate of $45 a hour plus I had to pay for marking paint.(20 gallons,$235) The marking of the trees was the biggest cost it took 47 hrs to mark the 30 acres that are getting cut throughout my 80acres. My woods is really nasty thick,not easy marking by any means. I haven't got the bill for the rest but for all the advertising,Writing up contracts,estimating cords,walking with logger pre cutting,checking on cutting operations,etc it should be another $500-800. A lot of foresters work on a commission of timber cut, each way had it plus and minus's. I personally liked the fact that he was not going to make more by marking more trees to be cut, but I have also been told that by working on commission they might work harder to get you a higher price because they will get a bigger cut. I guess it will be up to you. Although I defiantly could use the money,my main goal was to have a healthy forester that would benefit the wildlife.