Today we closed on Maple Hill Farm! Habitat Projects

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
It took a few years in life, but today we closed on a piece of property. Welcome to Maple Hill Farm! Pretty exciting to finally own a piece of dirt that has hunting potential. One of my bucket list items was to eventually own a piece of property that I can step out the back door and hunt. There has never been a lot of things on my bucket list, but this was one of them! Next year good Lord willing another one will get checked off the list as we hope to start building our new house on this property. I have always wanted to build my own house, with my own hands, and that is still a possibility to some extent. However, I know at 50 years old I am not physically what I was at 25.... so I will do as much as I feel we can still tackle and sub-contract out the rest.

This piece is 87 acres, a good mix of timber and what was formally crop ground that is now hay ground. Our western border is a creek that typically always has water and a couple of county roads that dont see a lot of traffic. The limiting factor in the neighborhood is "food", we do have a few oaks in the area, but crop ground is pretty limited within a 3 mile area. There are 3 small "ponds" on the property and we hope to rework the 2 ponds in the northeast corner into a larger one at some point. Big enough to sustain some fish. The Red "X" is the general location of where the new house will sit and the property drops off elevation wise 200-300 ft as you go down to the west property line. Which will give a great view of a large portion of our property. Probably not much, if any habitat work, will get done this calendar year. I will spend the winter trying to get a feel of how deer utilize what currently exists and then develop a plan from there. MapleHillFarm.png

Last edited:
Congrats I am happy for you and looks like you are in for some hard, rewarding work. Good luck.

congrats to you, and best of luck building your home you always wanted!

It took a few years in life, but today we closed on a piece of property. Welcome to Maple Hill Farm! Pretty exciting to finally own a piece of dirt that has hunting potential. One of my bucket list items was to eventually own a piece of property that I can step out the back door and hunt. There has never been a lot of things on my bucket list, but this was one of them! Next year good Lord willing another one will get checked off the list as we hope to start building our new house on this property. I have always wanted to build my own house, with my own hands, and that is still a possibility to some extent. However, I know at 50 years old I am not physically what I was at 25.... so I will do as much as I feel we can still tackle and sub-contract out the rest.

This piece is 87 acres, a good mix of timber and what was formally crop ground that is now hay ground. Our western border is a creek that typically always has water and a couple of county roads that dont see a lot of traffic. The limiting factor in the neighborhood is "food", we do have a few oaks in the area, but crop ground is pretty limited within a 3 mile area. There are 3 small "ponds" on the property and we hope to rework the 2 ponds in the northeast corner into a larger one at some point. Big enough to sustain some fish. The Red "X" is the general location of where the new house will sit and the property drops off elevation wise 200-300 ft as you go down to the west property line. Which will give a great view of a large portion of our property. Probably not much, if any habitat work, will get done this calendar year. I will spend the winter trying to get a feel of how deer utilize what currently exists and then develop a plan from there. View attachment 45199
So so cool. Congrats!

Looks like it could use a couple of fruit trees. Lol

Congrats!

LOL it has a couple, old mature apple trees in the front yard of the existing home, we sampled a couple while we were there today as it looked like some were ripe already. ☹️ Not good! Luckily the old trunks look solid yet. Think we will top work them over to a few varieties next Spring. Might be a frost pocket down in the creek area. Lowest ground around and boxed in with trees so there might not be a lot of air flow. I am sure we will give it a try though!

Last edited:
ICF’s my friend we love our new home and if we do build another house on the new farm it will also be ICF construction also and possibly partially earth sheltered in a hillside. My kids and I set all the ICF blocks ourselves and a couple coworkers gave me a hand pouring the walls. Your new place looks great being able to hunt in one’s backyard is a blessing.👍 I used Foldform brand ICF’s and I believe Menards may even be caring that brand now. I used their fully formed corner blocks on this last place instead of cutting straight blocks into corners. The preformed corners make assembly go very very quickly. I even poured the interior walls of our utility room and used the FEMA safe room plans available online for that area including ceiling of 2x10 on 12” centers two layers of 3/4 plywood and 1/8 steal on top of that. After we moved in the tornado alarms where going off in the town we live relatively close to my wife asked what we should do. I said I’d bake cookies we live in a bunker.

Congratulations Chris!!

Congrats!! Use the lack of close crop fields to your advantage. Convert some of the hay fields to food plots and your place will draw the deer in from a long ways away. Some winter rye and clover will be a magnet for the deer. Add some fruit trees for the future and you’ll be set.

Congratulations!

enjoy,

Congrats!

Congrats Turkey, I am genuinely happy for you and your family! You can still do the work of your 25 year old self, it just takes longer my friend 😃

Looks and sounds like maybe a dam along the west property line north west of the proposed house location and you may have a large pond location?? From the Satellite photos that looks like it maybe a pretty good draw where that oddly shaped finger of trees is located.

Looks and sounds like maybe a dam along the west property line north west of the proposed house location and you may have a large pond location?? From the Satellite photos that looks like it maybe a pretty good draw where that oddly shaped finger of trees is located.

Possibly. Havent spent any real time looking at that yet. It is kind of odd the 2 ponds that I have circled are in that same draw. However, only the pond to the right in the picture actually sets in the lowest part of the draw. The deeper looking little pond on the left is actually on a bit of a slope. Hoping that there is possibly a natural spring there? Thinking we could possibly put the dam on that existing fence line. Removing the dam on the little pond and making a cut so that the other "elevated" pond drains into the new bigger pond as well. Where the tree line is by the existing ponds is actually the lowest elevation.
maple hill ponds.png

Cool beans nice place. Ponds are fun to have my kids are fishing all the time on ours.

Let me add my congratulations to the others. I was about your age when I became a land owner, and the experience has been rich and meaningful in so many ways. If you have trees to plant, do them in the next ten months, otherwise, pace yourself with a five to ten year plan...especially with a house to build.

Looks like some TSI (mainly girdling and S&S) in the timbered area will give you some quickly realized results, as that looks like some serious closed canopy for much it.

Congrats! Glad it finally came together for you.

Congratulations, happy for you!

Congratulations Chris. Looks like a great chunk of land. Are you going to have a nursery on there?

Congratulations Chris. Looks like a great chunk of land. Are you going to have a nursery on there?
Nope! We have everything on my mother-in-laws farm about 5 mins away. Her property is on a major highway so it works ideal for the tree business.