Log landing & compacted trails seed mix?

Maddog66

5 year old buck +
I had about 10 acres of basswood and hard maple clearcut this summer and I just finished dragging the trails clean and getting about 1” of heavily compacted soil loosened up. Basically destroyed my drag doing it.

Nevertheless, it’s done and ready for seed. The trails and log landing area I’m concerned with were nice volunteer clover / grassy roads before logging. They’ll be mowed and used lightly as atv / hunting trails in the future. In the spring I’ll hit it hard with Pelletized and/or AG lime and will frost seed with clover.

In zone 3, the consensus seems to be WR and perennial clover for this task. I already bought a heavy dose of clover seed (white, alcyce, ladino) and a heavier dose of rye….probably equivalent to 150#/acre.

It’s getting late in the season up here but I have rain and a solid week of 75 degree days in the forecast. Not too late imo, so I’m going for it.

Simple question:

What else could I throw on this weekend that might help and isn’t going to ask me if I have a soil test?😉

Thanks!

Last edited:
I had about 10 acres of basswood and hard maple clearcut this summer and I just finished dragging the trails clean and getting about 1” of heavily compacted soil loosened up. Basically destroyed my drag doing it.

Nevertheless, it’s done and ready for seed. The trails and log landing area I’m concerned with were nice volunteer clover / grassy roads before logging. They’ll be mowed and used lightly as atv / hunting trails in the future. In the spring I’ll hit it hard with Pelletized and/or AG lime and will frost seed with clover.

In zone 3, the consensus for this seems to be WR and perennial clover for this task. I already bought a heavy dose of clover seed (white, alcyce, ladino) and a heavier dose of rye….probably equivalent to 150#/acre.

It’s getting late in the season up here but I have rain and a solid week of 75 degree days in the forecast. Not too late imo, so I’m going for it.

Simple question:

What else could I throw on this weekend that might help and isn’t going to ask me if I have a soil test?

Thanks!

Flax and Japanese millet. Might be hard to source millet quickly, but easy enough to find flax at a grocery store.

Another good batch for compaction is chicory, plantain, sweet clovers, and common ragweed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A small amount of radish, small seed throw on top, deep tube that would loosen hardpan but not too many to shade others, just a few ounces