Leaving Standing Corn

mtholton

5 year old buck +
Didn't get a buck yet, and the coming weeks are busy with travel. Setting sights on late season. Asked the farmer if he'd be open to me buying 1/2 to an 1 acre of corn to leave standing and he's good with that. My question is, do I leave that corn standing where they like to be the most, or do I leave it standing where it is easiest to hunt/access? Will they adapt and move to where the food is even if slightly outside that natural travel route? I'm talking only a couple hundred yards off their typical route.

They might adapt BUT. Deer are to stupid to eat standing corn. They will spend more time eating corn that didn’t make it in the combine that’s laying on the ground.

See if your farmer would be willing to mow that standing corn a week before you get there.

They might adapt BUT. Deer are to stupid to eat standing corn. They will spend more time eating corn that didn’t make it in the combine that’s laying on the ground.

See if your farmer would be willing to mow that standing corn a week before you get there.
Gotcha, good point. I figured I'd just drive over it with my SXS.

Gotcha, good point. I figured I'd just drive over it with my SXS.
Mow it if you can but running it over will work too. Any way you can knock it down. Plus you'll be able to see where deer are accessing if you can't already.

Standing corn is great if you have snow on the ground burying the combine scraps. Else, like others said , they'd rather eat it on the ground.

In some states, standing corn pushed over is considered an illegal bait site.

I’d run over some and leave the majority standing. Standing corn with ice or snow on the ground equals an amazing hunt in my experience. Leave it close enough for a shot unless you have a great pinch point heading out to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d run over some and leave the majority standing. Standing corn with ice or snow on the ground equals an amazing hunt in my experience. Leave it close enough for a shot unless you have a great pinch point heading out to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like idea of some standing around edges and know down middle. They like to feel safe and standing crops can help with that.

MAybe NY deer are smarter....... Seen Deer push down a stalk with their foot and hold it down while they eat. Old and young deer.

Hey guys not to hijack but I was thinking about a corn plot next year and was thinking exactly the same thing with bushogging some lanes in it. My real question is what to do the following spring in regards to planting in it. I don't have a no till drill. Guess I could rent the county drill if I needed to

Put the corn where you can get in / out undetected. Deer will travel to the corn. If it's legal to mow it where you are, mow some in the center, leave standing around the perimeter and where you intend to hide, if on the ground. We brush in ground blinds with stalks and have had deer within feet of the blind. We are in MO, where it's legal to mow corn.

Resized_20221114_112104(1).jpeg

If you look closely I mowed some of my corn in the middle. Every week I go and mow a little more. The best time to hunt is immediately after your done mowing. It's like a magnet. This week is opening weekend of our gun season, high of 22 that day, and we got snow today.

Be careful with the corn stubble in terms of driving over stalks, you can shred tires in no time flat.