Lawnmower Plot 2022

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I've really come to enjoy putting in food plots with my lawnmower. I saw a tremendous amount of rain forecasted 2 weeks ago and couldn't stop myself. This is the before and after:

a9xbJgu.jpg

A8EzzBH.jpg

Dang I wish I could get growth like that in two weeks. Or 6 weeks for that matter. Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang I wish I could get growth like that in two weeks. Or 6 weeks for that matter. Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. You would not believe our recent rains. When I planted this, they were giving over 50% every day for the next 11 days, and it worked out pretty much as forecasted. I never plant this early, but with that forecast I couldn't stop myself.

Wow. What all did you plant and what was your process?

Wow. What all did you plant and what was your process?

This is an old fall plot that has never had anything except winter annuals (mostly wheat and brassicas) planted in it. In the summer, it would just be taken over by weeds. My goal was to have a good plot for this fall with a lot of variety and end up next spring with a good stand of clover and chicory. I had a lot of brome grass and crabgrass, so first I Gly killed it and let it stand a few days to make sure I hadn't missed any spots. Then I scattered the seed and ran over it with the lawn mower. This was just before the big rains started, and the amount of thatch was near perfect.

My seed mix was as follows. Amounts shown are per acre, but this plot is about 1/2 acre, so half of these amounts:

Kenland Red Clover - 7 lbs
Ladino Clover - 5 lbs
Forage Chicory - 2 lbs
Wheat - 12 lbs
Oats - 12 lbs
Buckwheat - 10 lbs (This is the first thing they are eating in it.)
Brassicas and soybeans - a light dusting just to add some variety.

I know that the buckwheat and soybeans will die out at the first frost, but that's fine. The way it's going, I think they will be eaten by then anyway.

I wish I could've gotten plots in this early. We don't often get this much rain in August. I've never tried buckwheat and brassica never seem to work out for me between not getting it planted timely or not enough rain. What's the latest you've planted and had brassicas well established?

Very nice results in two weeks! Kudos!

I wish I could've gotten plots in this early. We don't often get this much rain in August. I've never tried buckwheat and brassica never seem to work out for me between not getting it planted timely or not enough rain. What's the latest you've planted and had brassicas well established?
I think the latest I’ve ever planted would be the first week in September. My deer eat rape and radishes pretty good but don’t seem to care much for turnips.

Pretty impressive results!

I stuck a no till in the ground a little bit yesteday. Got my turnips going. It's that time of year.

Pretty sure Don Higgins used to say he planted brassicas around Labor day where he's at in south central IL. He'd say for every 100 miles you move north, then go earlier a week. Seems like you'd have plenty of time down where you're at.

We've planted it probably 4 or 5 years straight and never had much luck. A couple years we planted it in early September. Plants were under 4 inches tall and wide. We've tried in August and didn't get the rain for weeks. I'm an hour away from the property, so I'm not often able to plant before a rain. I've given up on them and opted instead for winter wheat, oats, chicory, or clover.

Pretty sure Don Higgins used to say he planted brassicas around Labor day where he's at in south central IL. He'd say for every 100 miles you move north, then go earlier a week. Seems like you'd have plenty of time down where you're at.
DANG! I guess I'm a bit north of him, but we're usually trying to get them in the ground by the second week of August...

Two more spray/throw/mow places that started a little slower, but I'm ready to now say are successful:

Edit - Forgot to mention but is obvious that I went heavier on the brassicas in these two plots.

bf5E9as.jpg

mGBKcti.jpg

Last edited:
Your plot looks great. I wish we could get some rain like that...I use the lawnmower plot method for a hiddey hole plot at our Ozark's cabin...I was there yesterday and put up a vine-based mock scrap and a mineral block, but our extreme drought is persisting with rain in the long term forecast. It may be early September before that plot goes in the ground.

Your plot looks great. I wish we could get some rain like that...I use the lawnmower plot method for a hiddey hole plot at our Ozark's cabin...I was there yesterday and put up a vine-based mock scrap and a mineral block, but our extreme drought is persisting with rain in the long term forecast. It may be early September before that plot goes in the ground.

Good luck and I hope the weather starts cooperating better for you. Lack of rain is a bummer for sure.

I sprayed last weekend and they are calling for rain every day next week so I am going to try your method. Too late for brassicas here so I am going ww and oats. I have some ptt seed so I will try a little but I don’t think it will amount to much.

Is the mower set up to mulch or is it blowing the clippings out the side?

Is the mower set up to mulch or is it blowing the clippings out the side?

I'm blowing the thatch, and I change directions to keep all of the thatch on the plot. On the first few rounds around the outside, I blow the thatch inward. Then I change directions and blow some of the thatch back to the outside plot area. Then I may do some different directions until I think I have the thatch spread evenly.

I will also say that those big rear wheels on my mower are giving me a little packing action with the seed - kind of like a cultipacker, but not as good. You need good seed to soil contact with some thatch - and plenty of rain is essential.

This method is not going to work as well on hard and rocky soil. The places I have the best results are low, fertile areas where the moisture is the best.

I also want to admit that I had one failure this year. Here are the reasons I attribute that to:
1. It was a place where the soil is poor and I didn't have a lot of thatch.
2. It was a new, small 1/4 acre plot close to bedding, which made it very accessible to the deer. The germination was poor, and the plants that did come up go eaten quickly. Once this happened, a mat of carpetweed started forming. I will go back on this one, spray it again and plant it straight wheat for a couple of years until I can get the soil built up a little and eliminate some weeds from the seedbank.

I sprayed last weekend and they are calling for rain every day next week so I am going to try your method. Too late for brassicas here so I am going ww and oats. I have some ptt seed so I will try a little but I don’t think it will amount to much.

Good luck, and I recommend increasing the seeding rate some over what you would use in a nicely prepared seedbed. Wheat and oats are good choices for this method.

One final piece of advice - Don't spread the seed when the thatch is wet and then mow. Your seed need to fall straight down to the ground, and moisture might make them stick to the thatch. Then, when you mow, you would be blowing your seed away from where you spread them.

I also believe it is better not to mow the day the seed are scattered. I think it's best to get a rain on the seed and then let it dry out again before mowing. I don't always do that, but I do think it is best. It might help to get the seed stuck to the ground better before mowing.

Last edited: