Late Summer - Forrest Clearing - Food Plot

thunderchicken10

Yearling... With promise
Hey guys, I've searched the forum and didn't find exactly the topic I was looking for. I'm currently having about 2 acres of low value trees cleared to create a food plot on my property. The property is located in Ohio County Kentucky and I've got the lime/fertilizer ready according to the soil test. I will till/disc in the ag lime as soon as he's done with the clearing. My question is, what's the best plan of attack moving forward? I was hoping to have this done in early June and I was going to plant RR soybeans to be able to battle the weeds. Due to a wet spring, the timing was thrown off. My thinking is to till in the ag lime and let it set for 2-3 weeks and then come in spray roundup to kill weeds and plant an annual fall blend. Then come back next spring and start with the RR beans to make sure I keep weeds under control.

Basically, what would be your steps in going from standing forest to a food plot this time of year? Thanks in advance.

Provided you get enough sunlight I would go with the usual rye, clover, oats, and chicory. Where you are at you might use wheat instead of rye or use both. Buckwheat is also a good option to get a plot going.

I have a “similar” situation in that I plan on planting soybeans in a field next year. So this fall I’m planting cereal rye, radish and a small amount of buckwheat. Then I will no til into the standing rye in the spring. The buckwheat and radish will winter kill. Radish aids in slug prevention, weed suppression, soil drainage (I have clay soil) and the buckwheat will aid in P fertilization/retrieval which will help the beans. The rye will be rolled and will continue to aid in weed suppression through the spring.

FWIW - Many recommend buckwheat as a good “first crop” on a field / clearing due to its soil repair and mineral retrieval tendencies.

I have a “similar” situation in that I plan on planting soybeans in a field next year. So this fall I’m planting cereal rye, radish and a small amount of buckwheat. Then I will no til into the standing rye in the spring. The buckwheat and radish will winter kill. Radish aids in slug prevention, weed suppression, soil drainage (I have clay soil) and the buckwheat will aid in P fertilization/retrieval which will help the beans. The rye will be rolled and will continue to aid in weed suppression through the spring.

That’s a great idea. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk