Late Planting This Year & UPS issue - Great Welter Response

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
In most years, I've started my spring plant by now. The last half of March and early April was untypically warm, but it has been cold and wet since. I checked soil temps last weekend at it was still too cold. I've had most of my seed in hand since mid-March. My plan for warm season annuals this year was to mix buckwheat and sunn hemp like last year but increase the seeding rate. About mid-April I decided to try adding some Wild Game Food Sorghum (Milo) to the mix. So, I called and ordered a bag from Welter. They were nice and the guy took my email address and said he would email me the receipt.

I got a shipping notice from UPS in a few days but no receipt from Welter. I checked the tracking number and it seemed like UPS acknowledge delivery and transport to their first warehouse, but there was no estimated delivery date. The web site said "check back later". I checked a few days later and saw the same thing. I figured maybe it was delayed due to priority shipping for COVID response or something. It has been quite a while now, so I decided to call Welter and at least get them to email the receipt again in case it went to spam or something.

Well, Welter checked with UPS and UPS lost the package. They said they would ship another bag immediately and would work with UPS to get the lost bag returned to them. They sent the receipt via email while I was on the phone. Looks like I need to do nothing and don't need to deal with UPS.

So, it looks like I'll need to wait a week or so for the new bag of seed, but the way our weather is going, I should have time.

Thanks,

jack

Glad Welter took care of the shipping issue for you, Jack. Sounds like they are a good company. I couldn't imagine being a shipping company like UPS or FEDEX or even the mail right now what with everybody in the nation trying to shop online as much as possible.

And I'm right with you on running late this spring too. Not due to any shipping issues but from the weather. It's been a bit unsettled even for Mississippi in the spring. Pretty wet and temps up and down a lot. Looked at my little plot this morning and there were crawdad holes in the lower end of it, LOL. I'll get to it and get 'er done whenever it gets dried out some, I just hope it's before it gets too hot.

Elbert

It's too bad speedy delivery doesn't cover the nation. That's who welter used to send my seed and was cheap and arrived in like a day and a half after ordering. Not that I needed it fast. Still some snow banks that need to go

Welters has great customer service. They aim to please.

I'm not sure if they used UPS again or not. I would have expected to see a UPS shipping notice by now if they had.

I feel your pain as it seems like every year lately I've had issues getting my spring plots in on schedule. I understand why you buy sunn hemp online but don't you have a local supplier for milo? Seems like it would be a lot cheaper purchased locally.

I feel your pain as it seems like every year lately I've had issues getting my spring plots in on schedule. I understand why you buy sunn hemp online but don't you have a local supplier for milo? Seems like it would be a lot cheaper purchased locally.

Last year, I bought my sunn hemp on line from Hancock because they had a great deal and free shipping. This year, they advertise the same discount, but shipping is only free on 25 lbs or less and the biggest discount is at 50 lbs. With this change, there was no discount so I bought it and my buckwheat at the local coop. My coop was out of Wild Game Food Sorghum. Welter has been good to deal with in the past and the cost of ordering it from them or having the Coop order it and having to go pick it up was the same. I only needed one bag of Sorghum for each 5 bags of sunn hemp and 5 bags of Buckwheat.

90% of my seed comes from the local coop. I order on-line when they coop doesn't have it or I get a deal where the price + shipping is significantly lower than the coop.

Thanks,

Jack