Late dropping apple trees Zone 3b

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I am looking for a late dropping apple tree for deer. I have a few different apple trees that I have planted, about a dozen trees. I would like to add another half dozen this year. The trees would be for the deer, and I would like them to drop as late as possible, as I said in the title, it is in zone 3B. I dont have any cedar trees on my land, and I dont know of any around me. Pretty decent soil, and it drains well. I do have an abundance of bear, so dwarf trees are not ideal, and I am not planning on an efence.

Anyone have recommendations? My goal is to have about 50 apple trees in different stages of growth, and that drop throughout the mid to later season. The trees I have now have been in the ground for 1-4 years, and they were 5-7 foot tall trees when planted (assuming 2yo when planted), none have produced yet, but I think they are ready, and I think if it werent for the late freeze last spring, I would have gotten apples last year.

I would also like to plant some other fruit trees/bush that deer would eat, any thoughts that would work in 3b? I have tried pears, and they would die as soon as I get a cold snap with no snow cover. Is there a plum tree deer like, that would grow there? I have been working on natural browse the past couple years, and I plan on hitting it hard the next couple years as well. I have been hinging, dropping trees, and planting pines and spruce for cover. I have about 2.5 acres of food plots that I try to keep something for them to eat year around in, there is also a decent amount of oaks that drop acorns in the fall. I am after variety.

What varieties do you have now (apple) wise and do you know the rootstock they are on? Theres a few fruit growers around that deal with your cold, like Stu suggested moments ago.

Last spring I planted 2 Chestnut, and 2 Whitney crabs. Before that I planted 1 Haralson, 2 Wodarzs, 1 Northern light, 2 State fair, 2 Beacons, 2 Zestar! and 2 Honeycrisp. I didnt keep track of the rootstocks, but requested full size trees, so they may be able to withstand bear. I was planning on adding a couple Wolf Rivers, but was wondering what else was suggested. There were a couple sick looking ones last spring that bounced back, that I dont think will make it, because they looked half dead most of the summer, I figured I would see what they look like this spring before replacing them.

IS there a good tree nursery in our zone you recommend? I have been just getting mine from a small place that is on my way to my cabin.

Just for a reference of some cold-hardy apple tree varieties, check out www.hardyfruittrees.ca They are all supposed to be good for the coldest zones. Checking the details may reveal drop times.

Ok that place is awesome, to zone 1? Oh my!!!

That place pizzes me off... but only because they're in Canada and don't ship to the U.S.

We need to find a Canadian with a few screws loose to do something illegal. :)

That they discussed on the NAEFX page?

The fact they have Zone 2 plums is pretty impressive.

Anyone want to make a run? Like Smokey and the Bandit style? Run up and pick up a load of trees?

Another site for good info on a bunch of different apples - some are heritage or hard-to-find types - is Salt Spring Apple Co. They're in Western Canada - British Columbia I believe. I don't think they ship to the U.S. either, but the info is good. That's why I posted the other info above about hardyfruittrees.ca - for the info on cold-hardy apples. Some of those apples are available in the U.S. from vendors here.

It's a 3 hour drive from my land but, I'm sure I'd get busted at the border on the way back through.

Just make the right turns you'll be ok, trust me....

canada-us%20border.jpg