Large Area ATV Spreader

B

BJE80

So I have a 15 gallon Firmco sprayer that has worked great for my smaller plots. I will be spraying much higher areas starting next year and want something with a bigger tank and more coverage. What do you suggest? I'm not sure on boom vs boomless. I have only owned boomless so far. I will be managing around 6.5 acres of plots.

This boomless one is one I'm considering.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/fimco-25-gal-boomless-atv-sprayer/0000000063662

Last edited by a moderator:
You will get a bigger coverage area with the boomless one, but will sacrifice some precision and control.

I have a two nozzle boom atv sprayer, that I added a boomless hose to so I can do both. Basically I have this sprayer.
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/fimco-20-gal-economy-atv-sprayer/0000000063633

And added this in place of the hand wand
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200356915_200356915

I'd go with the one you listed.

I ordered from Minnesota Wanner Co., a Type 4204 Teejet Double Swivel Nozzle. You can call them at 1-800-247-4998. You will need filters and teejet nozzles.You will need to know the gpm of pump and something to adjust the pressure. I use a (y) to bypass some back into the tank. Speed makes the difference as to gallons per acre. I set my pressure to 30 psi. With 2 tips @ 5mph I spread 16 gallons per acre. When filling the 26 gallon tank I use 3 quarts of 41% glypho. The spread is 16 feet.

I have the sprayer you are considering and like it quite well. I do have the wand with mine.....and would suggest you get a model with that for spot spraying.

It is hard to get precision spraying......and I sometimes can get some drift etc. I did kill one of my apple trees. :(

I basically have the same 2 nozzle 20 gallon sprayer as EOB with the wand. I do roughly 4 acres of plots with it. It only sprays about 6 ft per pass, but it seems sufficient for me and I really like the precision for my smaller plots and trails.

I used a boomless TJet last couple years and loved it for my rough rough rough plots. Likely wasted some chemical but the brass washers to block side jets kept both my apple trees and miscanthus from harm.

About how long does it take you guys to do a 1 acre area? Does a 25 gallon tank cover a 1 acre area?

I don't calibrate and do math or anything, but what works for me is a half gallon of 41% gly in 20 gallons. Drive 5-7 mph or so and it covers at least an acre maybe more. Kills stuff dead. I've been adding a couple of beer cups. (the big red ones, not the small clear one they give when its free beer) of AMS to the mix also. Our water is very hard and I heard the AMS makes the gly more effective.

Last edited:
I was doing as little as 1 quart per 20 or 25 gallons per acre (no grasses) and getting a solid kill. Made the sprayer from an old 250 tank. Jet ran on a roller pump and it moved some water pretty quick with a 60 foot spray width. Went super fast.

About how long does it take you guys to do a 1 acre area? Does a 25 gallon tank cover a 1 acre area?

I did some calibration when I got my sprayer. I settled on using 4 MPH for chemical applications (as well as for seeding and fertilizing - then I don't have so much to remember. :D ). I use 12 gallons to cover 1 acre. Thus I cover 2 acres per tank. Seems to work for me.....and later I read this was quite universally the case.

I suppose an acre may take about 10 minutes at 4 MPH.....but I have never timed it. To do a burn-down.....I use 2 qts of 41% glysphosate per acre.

^ I believe this is quite universal with these sprayers.

I do an acre and a half on a tank with the boom less 25 gal fimco. Love it. No problems.

I do an acre and a half on a tank with the boom less 25 gal fimco. Love it. No problems.
That one I linked at the top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have that same boomless sprayer and hated it for precision spraying. I cut the boomless off and attached a single nozzle from Northern Tool. I made a attachment to my hitch which holds the nozzle. Works very slick !

My "boom less" has three spray nozzles. They can be altered to spray in different positions. They also can individually turned on or off. Thus.....you can regulate the spray quite effectively with just a bit of care. Sometimes I just use the center nozzle to spray a trail.....for example.

Still......I did manage to smoke one of my apple trees.....as I failed to pay attention to the wind. :( Schmidt happens.

I have that sprayer and another 150 gallon one on wheels. That fimco boomless is nice. I found it a little difficult to get mounted on my back rack. With the weight and the bumps it would slide and get straps to loosen up. I dumped it one time. Since then I've learned to crank it down against a nice pad and kind of squish it down and it's solid and can't slide. If you have water close by that would be a fine sprayer. I don't so I bought a bigger one so I travel a couple miles up the road to a friends and do the 6.5 acres of mine in an hour with the bigger one pulled behind my tractor. I would get extra o-rings to have on hand incase you loose one in the field. They sell them at fleet farm or any hardware store. They are standard faucet o-rings.