Land option?

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
Just wanted to get some input. I currently own the middle (I believe red section) the highlighted section below mine is 2 acres that is landlocked. I reached out to the owner to see if he would be interested (not sure why he wouldn't, it's landlocked). Where the hand is, is a house that was used as a camp, but has been neglected. it's for sale but way overpriced. I would love to have a camp so I don't have to travel back and forth, but it probably needs torn down to the studs. I am very handy but have never even attempted anything like that. The bathroom needs moved because the way it is now, you have to walk through it to get to the second floor (yes really). Anyway, the other option would to make an offer for the piece above mine to the farmer (which he said he would likely sell some of his property to me). The only bad thing, is it nothing but a field. Yes, the deer use it at dusk and dark and yes I would probably plant all oaks in the wide section (left) to where it gets narrow, possibly the narrow section as well. OK, just got a callback on the 2 acres. He's not interested in selling, he promised his mom he would never sell... Great guy though, we spoke awhile.

Any thoughts? Or do I save my money?

1637947361082.png

I'm not sure if your financial situation, but I think anytime you can afford to buy land it is a good place to invest. I don't see it as that big of risk cause you can always sell it and most likely you will make money on it. I don't think you can go wrong if the price is decent. Land comming up for sale next to you doesn't happen very often.

great point on the land coming up for sale next to you. I think thats the route I will go. I just wish it was wooded.

It would be interesting to know why the farmer would sell the fields. Usually they won’t give up any land they need for operations. . The 2 acres wooded. I wouldn’t worry about it one way or the other. It’s too small to fret over if they’re not interested.

The farmer plans on selling out within 3 years. Plans on moving away.

great point on the land coming up for sale next to you. I think thats the route I will go. I just wish it was wooded.
A clean slate isn't all that bad if you have some time. You would have a cake walk prepping for a food plot. No trees/ roots/ shrubs to deal with. You can plant whatever trees you want, no clearing needed to get sunlight to them. Getting equipment in to dig a pond or waterhole would be easy. I can picture a few rows of Norway pines all along the border, food plot in the narrow section and a pond in the West corner. Shrubs and trees connecting your woods to the new property line.

Are you invested in this spot? Does it have everything you need for future. To me it doesn’t Look like ideal hunting property but if it is have you tried to offer low on the place thst needs fixed up.

The property to the north looks like it would give you good access to the back of your current property crossed the open field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the wooded property next to me doesn’t allow anyhunters, I planted a bunch of fruit trees near the back field, saw some decent bucks, shot a decent one. It does have water on it.