Kubota MX5400

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
Going on Saturday to look at (and probably buy) a 2020 Kubota MX5400 w/ loader. It is geared and 4x4. This will be my first larger tractor and first experience with a FEL. Any input from you guys on the model of tractor or anything I should be looking for before putting down the money? Thanks.

VV

I think the most common answer is that you have a dealer nearby (if possible) for the brand you buy. I've never had a loader on a tractor so I can't help there.

-John

I think the most common answer is that you have a dealer nearby (if possible) for the brand you buy. I've never had a loader on a tractor so I can't help there.

-John
I have 3 Kubota dealers within 50 miles. I live in the sticks, so most everything is that far away!

Thanks

VV

Nice rig, not too small and not to big for hauling around if needed.

What do you have to trailer it with or will be asking dealer what they can do for delivery and pickup pricing. That rig with loader is ok with no filled rear tires for typical 7000 lb car hauler but you will want an implement on back for loader work except for real light duty stuff. Filled tires on that size will add about 1100-1200 lbs and a good idea but push beyond legal limits of 7k trailer especially with any 3 pt implement to haul at same time so plan on something more like 10k trailer for long term.

Nice rig, not too small and not to big for hauling around if needed.

What do you have to trailer it with or will be asking dealer what they can do for delivery and pickup pricing. That rig with loader is ok with no filled rear tires for typical 7000 lb car hauler but you will want an implement on back for loader work except for real light duty stuff. Filled tires on that size will add about 1100-1200 lbs and a good idea but push beyond legal limits of 7k trailer especially with any 3 pt implement to haul at same time so plan on something more like 10k trailer for long term.
I am having it delivered and the tires will be filled.

55 HP is a great size. We just bought a new LS MTE350 (50HP) and its been great. Local dealer support would be a huge reason in buying decision.

Personally, I would also opt for Ag tires over the industrial ones if it's an option. Much better traction for farming/plotting/ag implements.

55 HP is a great size. We just bought a new LS MTE350 (50HP) and its been great. Local dealer support would be a huge reason in buying decision.

Personally, I would also opt for Ag tires over the industrial ones if it's an option. Much better traction for farming/plotting/ag implements.
It comes with R1 Ag tires.

I bought my Kubota MX5800 in 2017. Only issue I have had is a loose ground wire. If you don't have a trailer, make sure the dealer you buy from has a true field service dept that will come to you or pick-up & take tractor back to their shop.

I have a FEL, grapple, disc, brush cutter, post hole digger, scraper blade, etc. Plan on buying an implement a year as whatever you are doing now to get work done, a tractor makes it so much easier. We planted over 400 large root ball pines & apple trees this year and the post hole digger sure saves a lot of time and your back.

I plant ~10 acres a year in food plots. Your 5400 is on the same frame as mine so you should be able to maneuver well.

Another nice add on is a 3-Point hitch...
3-Point Hitch

Have them weld hooks on your bucket to attach chains to, you won't regret it ...
Bucket Hooks.gif

Last edited:
I have older m5400. Only thing I would do different is 4wd.