Kitty Cat WalkAbout

MadMadHoosier

5 year old buck +
I've been watching one primary cat, and a couple others visit our farm for almost a year. Initially I thought it permanently moved into our barn, and was very happy it could help reduce mice. I even bought an automatic cat feeder to give it a daily supplement of cat food, so it might hang around. But it has shown to come and go on no particular schedule.

What is amazing to me is the distance it is traveling to get to and from our old barn. The next closest resident is about .6 miles from our cabin, and our woods are full of coyote, bobcat, and the occasional fox. Just cannot believe it (they) survive the somewhat regular trip through the woods! About the time I think something got it, because I've not seen it in a while, it shows up again. Interesting and fun to watch.

Screenshot 2024-09-04 083923.jpg

Screenshot 2024-09-04 083637.jpg

Someone drops one off at my farm every fall. I've yet to see one make it to spring. But maybe they leave like yours.

I have a big old cat showed up at the house 15 years ago. Opened the back door and it walked right in. Still around. Laziest cat I ever saw. Never seen it with any kind of mouse or other kill. Been gone up to six months at a time. Caught it in a live trap over at deer camp a mile away once - but only once. No telling how old he is. Was an adult cat 15 years ago

Nice ditch cougars! I always have a couple different cats show up every year - I found two kittens that were in bad shape in my barn and brought them in. I still have one of the two, and they're better than any other cat my family has had

I will occasionally catch neighbors dogs on camera. Several years ago I had a dog that must of been starving come eat my deer corn everyday that’s one hungry dog that stands and eats deer corn. Looked like death warmed up on camera skin and bones.

I don’t let them hang around. They are hell on ground nesting birds, particularly quail. Doesn’t mesh with my management goals

We have one. Since he has been around, the chipmunk population has gone down, which he would attack voles. As they do go after song and nesting birds, tried to trap him with a Havahart trap with cat food. All I caught was 3 possums.