Kale?

Yarg

5 year old buck +
Since kale generally requires a longer growing Then turnips rape and radishes, I was thinking of spraying gly and planting kale first this week and then returning August and Broadcasting other brassicas has anyone ever planted separate. Thanks

I am in zone 5B

I usually plant all my brassicas at the same time even though they may have different maturity dates. I shoot for July 1-15 planting date on my brassicas. This date gives me more bulb production on the PTT.

I usually plant all my brassicas at the same time even though they may have different maturity dates. I shoot for July 1-15 planting date on my brassicas. This date gives me more bulb production on the PTT.
Hey Scott since you're in the same Zone as me and this is my second year of food plotting, my question is with that planting date if you don't get your first freeze until say the third week of October do you risk radishes and turnips of going to seed

Just wait and plant it all together, sometime between now and early August or set a small "test plot" off to the side to see what your results would be both ways. Thing is, kale is one of the more cold tolerant brassicas and unless your first frost is completely devastating, the kale will continue to grow even after a mild frost. And besides, the young growth of the kale is what most deer prefer anyway, so you won't be out much other than max leaf tonnage if you wait and plant later. Scott is correct on the bulb production though, they won't likely eat them until after a few frosts anyway, but the sooner you get them in, the larger they will be. A few extra weeks can be the difference between baseball and softball sized turnips.

Hey Scott since you're in the same Zone as me and this is my second year of food plotting, my question is with that planting date if you don't get your first freeze until say the third week of October do you risk radishes and turnips of going to seed
Our first frost date is around Sept. 15th, I personally haven't seen them not use the brassicas because they were too tough/rank and yes some years you will have some of it bolt but it has not been a problem for me.

K7AcRkM.jpg

These are barkant turnips, some of them were football size.. picture taken late December.

Attachments

• IMG_20171223_145120120_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171223_145120120_HDR.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 24
These are barkant turnips, some of them were football size.. picture taken late December.

Attachments

• IMG_20171223_145314431.jpg
    IMG_20171223_145314431.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 15
It just floors me how some people cant keep the deer off their plots long enough and I sit by listening to crickets.