Kale

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Just threw some kale into a mixed plot of red clover, radishes, and PTT back in the beginning of September. Plot had established clover in it, and we sprayed with gly before broadcasting the radishes, PTT, and kale. The dying grass and weeds kept moisture in the soil / acted as mulch. The newly planted greens are up to about 7 to 10 inches tall now. I didn't notice much kale. Is there any special prep work to do for kale?? Spray & throw not the right approach?? This is our first go at kale.

I don't know, but we put kale in the garden years ago and it keeps coming up every year from seed.

I have done well with Kale by TNM but the deer eat it first out of any mix I have ever planted with kale in it
I have done this both in the spring and fall and the kale never gets much taller than 5 or so inches before they grab it.
It was just tall enough to tell what it was. More power to the deer I can't eat the stuff....

My deer generally leave it alone until winter, but then they dig through the snow and mow it down to the ground.

My deer are like Derek's, they start hitting the kale first along with raddish and dwarf rape. All the others seems they leave them alone till a frost. There are a couple types of kale also. The leaves are totally different. One looks very similar to rape, the Siberian kale has curly leaves. Is it possible it is blended in with the rape and just hard to notice. I have never had any problems with it growing, plant it the same as all other brassicas.

Maybe I didn't see much kale because the deer found it and are eating it down. I'll keep checking my next trip to camp.

Update ......

After a trip to camp, the mixed brassica plot is getting hammered. What WAS a few weeks ago 7 to 10 inches high is now clipped off at about 1 1/2 inches high. The radishes, turnips, rape, Pasja forage brassica, and kale all seem to be getting hit equally. Tracks are EVERYWHERE in that big plot. Our winter wheat is about 6 to 8 inches tall and is getting hit as well. Clover is still green, though we've had a few frosts now. Rye grain - separate plot - is about as tall as the WW, and is also getting clipped.

^ ^ ^ ^ I could KICK MYSELF for not putting a cage in that plot to monitor growth inside it vs. open to the deer. :emoji_rage: