All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jug traps for fruit trees

Mahindra3016

5 year old buck +
Has anyone had any luck with jug traps, I started to research this after seeing jugs hanging from some local Mennonites apple trees with some very nice looking apples. From the searches i did i found that most are using a mix of vinegar, water, sugar and Bannana peel mixture in the jugs to attract moths and other pests, people claim that they have had worm free apples since doing this. I am not against spraying, but the less the better for me and my schedule. The things i have read also claim that honey bees wont be attracted to the jugs.

I used that mix in a jug to try and catch Asian wasp that were tormenting the yard. I only caught a few wasps but the darn thing did catch a lot of moths and other bugs. Don't know how good it would be around apples.

I caught yellow Jackets but like you said no honey bees.

No one on here has tried these? Ill be the test dummy this year, i know of one wild apple tree that the bugs hit so bad the fruit always drops long before ripe.

Hey Ben
I copied this down and will try to remember to try it this spring.

I have both good thoughts and bad thought about insect traps. I've used and put dawn dishwashing liquid in the mix which kills the insects. Also put a stick in which they can land on and and consume the mixture.
Bad, You end up killing a lot of bees and other pollinators which are attracted to the sugar/vinegar solution.

Hey Ben
I copied this down and will try to remember to try it this spring.
I know you have bears, i just have to wonder if bears would be attracted to the smell.

I have set few jug traps in my peach trees, day 2 and lots of flys moths and a few Hornets, no honey bees in the trap !! I also set a few in some wild apple trees.
4bc448db259b0dc81638cb273f9a2f7e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Do these look like codling moth?
f1a297c765666095f95d2a5082ee896a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Looks like there could be, hard to really tell. I see some nasty baldface hornets and other "wickeds" in there too.