John Deere flex 71 planter

tdawgcj7

Yearling... With promise
It’s getting closer to planting time here in northern Michigan. I went from always wanting to plant a few fruit trees to planting 27 so far this year. I have to much idle time!

A few weeks back I purchased a nice dual JD 71 planter. When I bought it, the guy said he also had the fertilizer boxes for it so I was pretty excited. I didn’t do as much homework about the fertilizer boxes as I was just pumped to find such a nice unit. This past weekend I received some manuals I ordered off eBay and started the process of installing the boxes only to realize they were not intended for fertilizer. I believe these were know as herbicide boxes for granular applications. Does anyone have experience with these and is there any reason why I couldn’t use them for 12-12-12 fertilizer? My guess is they are small so if you were doing a lot of acres, you would be stopping to put in bags a lot. I’m just doing border rows of corn beef I help break up my plots.

Any experience with these would be greatly appreciated. This is my first attempt at corn planting. I have to do something as I loose all my deer to neighbors because they have standing corn all season.

d743f1c8dc26409c041518c88f807dd3.jpg