I've scoured the internet but can't find an answer

rtaylor

Yearling... With promise
I am really wanting to give this throw and mow method a try considering my ground is pretty rough. I find so much info on using buckwheat to use as a cover crop and then terminating the buckwheat and using it for thatch for my fall food plot. The problem I keep running into is no one shows how to plant the buckwheat. From everything I've gathered it doesn't do well without disking which kind of defeats the whole premise of no till. My ground right now is native grasses that is pretty thick and a foot and a half high. Not sure if I should spray, sow my buckwheat and mow or if I should spray and then disk. Any advice would be appreciated.

Where are you located? Buckwheat likes warm soil and weather, so in Minnesota I've had good luck planting around June 1st. You will get a more consistent stand of buckwheat if you can kill off the existing vegetation, till the soil and plant the seed under 1/2" to 1" of soil. I've had good luck disking the ground, then spreading the seed and dragging the field lightly to cover the seed. Buckwheat will out compete weeds and give you a relatively weed free bed to plant your fall plot in. One thing to keep in mind is that buckwheat matures quickly and produces viable seed, so if you let it fully mature you might end up with a massive volunteer crop of buckwheat in late summer that will out compete your fall blend.

If tillage isn't an option, I would broadcast your buckwheat seed on your field on June 1st and then go back and spray the whole field later that day. The spraying should kill off most of the existing vegetation and your ATV or tractor tires should pack in some of the buckwheat seeds. The thick layer of dead thatch will conserve some moisture and assist your buckwheat germination. You will need to kill off the existing sod one way or the other though otherwise you will end up with a crappy plot.

I do TnM buckwheat into winter wheat/winter rye thatch. By this time of the spring last fall's cereal grains should be well over a foot tall. Spray it, broadcast buckwheat, mow. No issue with large seed if it rains and I have some thatch.

I am really wanting to give this throw and mow method a try considering my ground is pretty rough. I find so much info on using buckwheat to use as a cover crop and then terminating the buckwheat and using it for thatch for my fall food plot. The problem I keep running into is no one shows how to plant the buckwheat. From everything I've gathered it doesn't do well without disking which kind of defeats the whole premise of no till. My ground right now is native grasses that is pretty thick and a foot and a half high. Not sure if I should spray, sow my buckwheat and mow or if I should spray and then disk. Any advice would be appreciated.

Buckwheat does great with T&M. Spray, broadcast, and cultipack. Buckwheat has a wide range of soil temps for germination, but I've found it is lethargic when planted in soils with temps below 65 degrees. The optimal soil temp is 80 degrees, so plant it later.

Seems to me, if your goal is a TnM crop (clover, brassica, chicory, small seed type stuff), and you already have native grasses established for a thatch, then you don't need the buckwheat for TnM thatch. Just use what mother nature has already provided for you...easy and free.

Seems to me, if your goal is a TnM crop (clover, brassica, chicory, small seed type stuff), and you already have native grasses established for a thatch, then you don't need the buckwheat for TnM thatch. Just use what mother nature has already provided for you...easy and free.
The buckwheat for me has another purpose. I am planting it for my bees to have a good nectar source this summer after most everything else has bloomed.

The buckwheat for me has another purpose. I am planting it for my bees to have a good nectar source this summer after most everything else has bloomed.
Okay. You didn't mention that earlier. Sounded like you were just trying to establish thatch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Okay. You didn't mention that earlier. Sounded like you were just trying to establish thatch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Sorry I should have mentioned that part also.

I saw a honey bee when mowing a few weeks ago. It is the first I've seen since they crashed. Before that, my buckwheat was always covered with honey bees! I do see more native bees using buckwheat using clover and buckwheat now.

So I am doing some testing. I've got 3 sections that I put seed down. First plot was really high weeds and grasses. I didn't spray. I broadcast the buckwheat and then bush hogged it down. My next plot I sprayed and then ran the teeth of my box blade through to get some dirt showing. My last plot I sprayed and bush hogged. I planted all 3 in buckwheat which I've been told does not do well with Throw and Mow. I am really hoping that the first plot that I didn't spray will work since it required very little work. We are supposed to have a little rain this Friday so hopefully I will start to see some results next week.