I've been working in my Oak planting.

iLMBjbUh.jpg

Cool! I love seeing oak stuff. That is good growth. I am unlikely to see that this far north.

Oaks are awesome mast trees, just wish they grew a little quicker. I've been lucky enough to have lots of red/white/burr and pin oak already on my properties the only oaks I've planted are pin oaks in my shrub strips and they are about knee high. I am very interested in adding some sawtooth in the future just for a little more diversity.
Native and wildthing your trees look fantastic.

Cool! I love seeing oak stuff. That is good growth. I am unlikely to see that this far north.

Thanks. I think one thing that helped on my planting site is the good moisture in the ground there. Even in drought conditions, those trees never suffered for water over the years. It's really a little too wet for good crop land. Once you go to the next field, it dries up, and that's where the NWSGs are planted.

It's cool to see so many guys of all ages and backgrounds planting trees & shrubs of all sorts. Some plantings give quicker results than others. We may not all see immediate benefits from what we plant, but sons, daughters, grandkids, and others will. Someday - somewhere - a foot traveler will approach something we've planted and ponder, " I wonder how this / these got here ?? "

This is so true Bowsnbucks. I mentioned above where my wife questioned my sanity when I started planting oak trees - telling me I would be long gone before they ever shed any acorns. I said to her..."Where would we be if Johnny Appleseed had that kind of attitude". And it is true. I have planted hundreds of oaks since we originally purchased our property. There was only one lone Red Oak on the entire 160 acres that the loggers had somehow missed. Thus the name "Lone Oak" for our little piece of the rock. Someday....some time down the road....somebody is really going to appreciate our efforts....and most likely - give us thanks.

Very good name for your place Wildthing !! As others note the numbers of oaks there now, they won't know the origin of the title. Great job Wildthing !!! Remote handshake.:emoji_handshake:

Very nice Native! I started something like this a couple years ago in our hay field, I took 3-4 acres and planted pines, cedars and oaks. Hopefully in 14 years mine looks like yours, thanks for sharing.

hbWRvk3.jpg

Very good name for your place Wildthing !! As others note the numbers of oaks there now, they won't know the origin of the title. Great job Wildthing !!! Remote handshake.:emoji_handshake:

Thanks BowsnBucks - You're right - it doesn't quite look like "Lone Oak" any more...but we'll still keep on planting them:

Sign on the barn:

DSC00151.jpg

The tree on the far right side of the sign is a Sugar Maple - (note the spile and bucket hanging from it) but we have a small Maple Syrup operation here too.

DSC00173.jpg

Sign in the man cave in the barn:

DSC00621.jpg

Here are a few pics of the sugaring operation:

IMG_3063.jpgIMG_3059.jpgDSC01196.jpgDSC00678.jpgIMG_1414.jpgIMG_1407.jpgDSC00744.jpg

Last edited:
That's a really nasty set-up you have there, Wildthing !!! I can almost feel the heat from your wood stove in the cave and smell the steam in the sugar shack. IMO - there's nothing quite like maple sugaring. I took my sons to a sugar camp in northern Pa. when they were younger and they were fascinated. Needless to say - we bought a gallon of syrup to take home !!

I love the sign too. Great pix of your hideout !!!

Man that chainsaw looks brand new....

Man that chainsaw looks brand new....

You have a good eye for detail Gator. That is a new 180E. The 170 I've been using for a couple of years doesn't quite look so good. :emoji_grinning: That picture was taken the day I bought the other saw.

I wanted to have an extra light weight saw. If I accidentally dull a chain, I can go to the spare saw and keep working. The new one has the "easy start" and the chain tension adjustment that you can do without tools. Easy start is just a so so feature, but I like the chain tension feature really well. The old 170 has neither of those. But, both will get the job done.

I have a couple of big heavy saws, but it's hard to even think about using those if you have a 170 or 180 (or both).

Last edited:
X-2 ^^^^. I have a 180 with the "easy pull" feature and I love that thing. I also have a MS 390 that I now only use for felling or bucking large wood. Chain tensioner is a nice addition. Money well-spent. Happy cutting, Native !!