It looks like a bumper acorn year! What is your acorn strategy?

5 year old buck +
What is your acorn strategy?

This past weekend's tree survey suggests this will be a bumper acorn year. I have burr oak acorns the size of golf-balls and other white oak acorns showing in abundance. This will be the first year the farm has a tower blind well situated for the acorn drop, plus two ladder blinds and a ground blind that might work depending on the wind.

If time allows, I may do some spot and stalk on public once the nuts start dropping.

I was out checking the acorn crop this year on our properties in northeast MO. Other than the bur oaks, it looks like it will be abysmal. Very few if any acorns on white oaks and the red oaks have less than they typically do. I am assuming this has more to do with last year's mast production because we have had plenty of moisture at our properties.

Reactions: 356
Last year was a banner year in much of MN. My red oaks seemed especially loaded. Last weekend looking around, i found it odd that the burrs were almost all bare and the reds seemed to have more acorns again.

I haven’t noticed many acorns at all on my oaks.

There are a few acorns on the Burr Oaks around here but no where near the amount there was 2 years ago. I heard it mentioned in a forestry podcast a few days ago that oaks only set that heavy of a crop once in 10 years.

Reactions: 356
What is your acorn strategy?

This past weekend's tree survey suggests this will be a bumper acorn year. I have burr oak acorns the size of golf-balls and other white oak acorns showing in abundance. This will be the first year the farm has a tower blind well situated for the acorn drop, plus two ladder blinds and a ground blind that might work depending on the wind.

If time allows, I may do some spot and stalk on public once the nuts start dropping.

Are there acorns everywhere, or just where you planted them?

Last year I experienced a massive acorn crop and it made hunting awful. It was like 2 bags of corn under every tree for 50 miles in every direction.

Mother Nature outhustled me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The northern reds are loaded here. I haven't gone to check the whites and swamp white yet. My English are loaded as usual.

Attachments

• 20240813_171214.jpg
    20240813_171214.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240813_171227.jpg
    20240813_171227.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240813_171238.jpg
    20240813_171238.jpg
    904.1 KB · Views: 7
Are there acorns everywhere, or just where you planted them?

Last year I experienced a massive acorn crop and it made hunting awful. It was like 2 bags of corn under every tree for 50 miles in every direction.

Mother Nature outhustled me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am seeing lots of acorns on both the planted trees and native trees. I have two “islands of oaks” that are about 2 acres each that were planted around 1990. We also have native timber with trees that are over 100 years old.

I anticipate this will impact movement and may make early season far more challenging. I am adding two ladder stands for hunting what will be a bumper year for the oaks. Ironically, the walnuts are skimpy this year, as are the Osage Orange in producing their fruit.