Is this him back again?

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Some of you will recall the big elusive buck I had last year. I mowed my shooting lanes today and checked a remote trail cam on my place that I hadn't been to since early spring. On June 30 I had the pics below of a buck that I believe to be the one from last year. That was the only day this year that I had him, so I have to believe he isn't bedding close right now. First pics are the new ones and the rest of the pics are from last year. Is this him, and what do you think my chances are this year? Let me know your thoughts....

History:

* In early 2023 the deer was living very close to my food plot. I was getting frequent daylight pics in July and early August and then he just disappeared.
* People 2 miles from me reported seeing the deer after that.
* In November I had a trail cam on a scrape on another piece of property we own about 1.5 miles away. He was wearing out a scrape at the edge of a field but only in the wee hours of the morning.
* In December he came back to my place and was wearing out a scrape, but he was also still using the property 1.5 miles away. By this time, all pictures were at night.
* After that he disappeared again.

June 30, 2024
g4-IMG_0565.JPG

G4-IMG_0582.JPG

G4-IMG_0582-2.JPG

Some from last year:
H2-IMG_0018.JPG

H4-IMG_0038.JPG

n1-IMG_0001 (2).JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

Attachments

• g4-IMG_0613.JPG
    g4-IMG_0613.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 8
  • g4-IMG_0566.JPG
    g4-IMG_0566.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I would think so and now he has 2 split G2's. Beyond the antlers the hairless patch on his left shoulder from scratching with his antler matches. This springs has more hair now, but it won't in 2 months.

I would think so and now he has 2 split G2's. Beyond the antlers the hairless patch on his left shoulder from scratching with his antler matches. This springs has more hair now, but it won't in 2 months.
I had noticed the extra split G2, but hadn’t noticed the shoulder. Good catch Bill.

Covers all that ground, and yet alive and kicking. Why 1 set of velvet pics on 6/30? If you can crack this code you're the undisputed wizard.

Covers all that ground, and yet alive and kicking. Why 1 set of velvet pics on 6/30? If you can crack this code you're the undisputed wizard.
I can’t crack the code, but now that my lane mowing is done, my habitat work is done for the year. If he wants thick cover with no human intrusion, he can have it. I can’t help but feel that he may move in when the leaves fall. Oh yea, I also have plenty of ladies available.

Looks likely to me, but given the big buck Mecca you have, there are probably a dozen more on your place just like him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks likely to me, but given the big buck Mecca you have, there are probably a dozen more on your place just like him.

I’m just trying to catch up with you!!!!!

I’m just trying to catch up with you!!!!!

Haha! Mine live on the neighbors. They only visit me at midnight. But I’m working on it thanks to all of you guys!

If you know where that guy is in September kill him then. Right after a thunderstorm and temp drop. Doesn’t always happen but pray for one.

He’s smart but he’s a mover. Unless he finally reached an age where he’s more interested in sleeping and eating.

I don’t think he seeks out does. They find him. But my theory’s are just that:).

Is there any beans close by you can glass from a distance on cool evening?I would bet it's the same buck,good luck

Is there any beans close by you can glass from a distance on cool evening?I would bet it's the same buck,good luck
Yes, I have beans on two sides. One side is easy to get to. The side he was on is harder. He is a mystery. I can’t understand how he only appears one time over the course of months.

If you know where that guy is in September kill him then. Right after a thunderstorm and temp drop. Doesn’t always happen but pray for one.

He’s smart but he’s a mover. Unless he finally reached an age where he’s more interested in sleeping and eating.

I don’t think he seeks out does. They find him. But my theory’s are just that:).
One other thing different about him was the gusto with which he worked that one scrape. At times I would have pics of him standing vertically in that tree, and he was really moving the larger limbs. I think you could have heard the noise 200 yds away.

IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG

Is he missing left eye?I think yours is for sure.I have one that had a bunch of points 2 years ago,then a few less last year but giant brow on one side.I hit him last year but he made it and he shed in feb.Now the buck I think is him basically is his size a 1 inline point.

Is he missing left eye?I think yours is for sure.I have one that had a bunch of points 2 years ago,then a few less last year but giant brow on one side.I hit him last year but he made it and he shed in feb.Now the buck I think is him basically is his size a 1 inline point.

No, he isn't missing any eyes. You can see both eyes shine in old and new photos.