Is This Dolgo?

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
693B59E2-8158-4654-9E01-38481D9A6F8B.jpeg

B57DAC82-5708-4ED2-8C2F-1DEC13DA6416.jpeg

I thought they were larger and red flesh?

Mine are about 1" and a deep red/purple color. I don't recall a red flesh though. Been awhile since I've bit into one.

One of my Dolgo trees have apples like that. I have 4 Dogo trees, and none of their apples are the same.

That's exactly what my Dolgo looks like, size included.

Looks like mine. How did it taste? Sour?

Looks like mine. How did it taste? Sour?
A little sour - but really not that bad. I dont know if tree is dropping - or shedding them - only had a out ten fruit and dropped them all in last few days. 108 temp might do that.

That's what mine in North FL look like, Swamp Cat. Honestly glad you asked, as I've wondered more than once if mine were true to the sale variety listed when I bought them.

Lot of variation in Dolgos that are sold as a lot of places sell Dolgo grown from seed, the trees arent grafted. We graft all of our Dolgo so that we can stay consistent on fruit. Typically Dolgo have an oval shaped fruit and roughly 1" to 1 1/4" in length. They are all white fleshed as far as I know. The picture shown is pretty representative of what ours look like though ours might be slightly larger in size.

Lot of variation in Dolgos that are sold as a lot of places sell Dolgo grown from seed, the trees arent grafted. We graft all of our Dolgo so that we can stay consistent on fruit. Typically Dolgo have an oval shaped fruit and roughly 1" to 1 1/4" in length. They are all white fleshed as far as I know. The picture shown is pretty representative of what ours look like though ours might be slightly larger in size.

I agree, 100%. I wish people would quit selling dolgo seedlings and calling them dolgo.

As a side note, I have a dolgo seedling with first fruit this year. So far, the fruit is slightly larger than grafted dolgo fruit. I am anxious to see how the fruit tastes and when it ripens/ drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, 100%. I wish people would quit selling dolgo seedlings and calling them dolgo.

As a side note, I have a dolgo seedling with first fruit this year. So far, the fruit is slightly larger than grafted dolgo fruit. I am anxious to see how the fruit tastes and when it ripens/ drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So a Dolgo seedling is not a true Dolgo? I bought a couple of "wild" crabapple from Blue Hill this year. I assumed they were Dolgo. Is Dolgo just a term used for wild crabapples? I don't really mind if mine aren't true Dolgo, just curious as to how that all works.

So a Dolgo seedling is not a true Dolgo?
A dolgo seedling is simply that, a seedling. A true Dolgo would require being a grafted tree from a known/verified grafted Dolgo tree.

So a Dolgo seedling is not a true Dolgo? I bought a couple of "wild" crabapple from Blue Hill this year. I assumed they were Dolgo. Is Dolgo just a term used for wild crabapples? I don't really mind if mine aren't true Dolgo, just curious as to how that all works.
Wild crabapples could be 1/4" in diameter or nearly 2" in diameter. I purchase some red splendor crabapple seedlings from the local county tree sales and their size varies from the standard 1/4" all the way up to 1 1/2" diameter size. Dolgo is type of crabapple pictured in the post above - my grafted dolgos look nearly identical to that. If you want a specific size or type of apple you will need a grafted tree. If you are fine with more fruit variance then going with the lower cost seedling options would be a good plan.

if you plant a seedling apple tree and the fruit isn't what you want then you can always topwork the apple tree to get a variety you want. It is relatively simple and with a little practice you can be successful most of the time.

Ya I'm completely fine with whatever the tree looks like. I've debated whether I want to try to graft them or not. I'll probably wait until they get a little larger and decide. They're just whips at the moment.

One of my Dolgo trees have apples like that. I have 4 Dogo trees, and none of their apples are the same.

Do all 4 of your dolgo trees drop apples at the same time? I have grafted several dolgo from different sources. I am wondering if they will all drop apples at the same or if there is a chance that they could be seedling dolgo and have different drop times.

Usually start dropping about mid August, into mid Sept.

I have no idea what this is, but it seems to fit the description. Growing wild on my hunting property. Tastes pretty good, too.

Attachments

• 20220807_112906.jpg
    20220807_112906.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220807_113016.jpg
    20220807_113016.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 29