Is it possible to have too good of neighbors?

B

BJE80

Would it be to a point to be a bad thing that your neighbors are doing everything right? They are putting in more food than you. They are logging their property. They are creating bedding (I think). They are only shooting 3.5 YO or older bucks. But they are doing stuff so good it is making it hard for you to compete with. And his land lays out better with a creek bottom and closer to Ag fields. I have that neighbor. Give me the silver lining boys.

I talked to him for an hour last night on the phone. I listened to his plans and I'm thinking man I thought I was doing a lot. He is going crazy. We are both getting logged this winter. I am putting in 6.5 acres of plots. He is putting in 10 acres of plots.

I'm wondering if all my planned improvements are just going to be under his umbrella anyway.

Not every mature buck that will use your "neighborhood" will be able to bed on his place. It will be HARD for you to compete with that creek bottom(but you knew that), so I wouldn't even try. All you can do is make your place the best you can afford to make it and hunt it smarter than the next guy, beyond that, there isn't much else you can do.

Not every mature buck that will use your "neighborhood" will be able to bed on his place. It will be HARD for you to compete with that creek bottom(but you knew that), so I wouldn't even try. All you can do is make your place the best you can afford to make it and hunt it smarter than the next guy, beyond that, there isn't much else you can do.

He claimed he has 11 bucks on camera right now. 3 over 130"

I have zero bucks. LOL

Having them on camera and having them call his place "home" are 2 different things. Which side of you is this on?

Having them on camera and having them call his place "home" are 2 different things. Which side of you is this on?

Southwest. My food plots are on my north side.

You have any cameras set up in the SW corner of your place, west of the little marshy pond on your south border?

Did you still access your place up the gut?

You have any cameras set up in the SW corner of your place, west of the little marshy pond on your south border?

I don't at this time. I used to in years past. Very little traffic. its hard to put trail cams in the woods by me. Just not enough defined trails right now. Deer are too dispersed and random. I move cameras around known trails but they really can be anywhere. It doesn't matter at this point really. The plan on hunting it this year are easy. Hunt the does and wait for those bucks to show up.

Did you still access your place up the gut?

Yes sir. Until I get cut this winter it is not changing. Actually his is up the gut too as it stands which he plans to fix on his 120 as well. The area we share a boarder we are going to just share that walking trail because we are both going to be accessing from the perimeter.

I'm not worried about this year guys. I'm thinking long term. He is putting a lot of good things in. It will be tough to keep up with the Jones for sure.

The only thing I've been thinking now is I need to offer them something he is not. AFAIK. That would be apple trees and native browse. That is both on my plan. With it be enough? Not sure.

Can you believe all that he tells you, or is he a guy that always gets a bigger fish than you, shoots a bigger buck, or always tells a bigger story?

I trust what he says. They shot a 141" last year. Good guy and straight shooter.

I can't say a thing bad about the guy. :)

From what I have seen, it takes 2 full growing season after aggressive timber harvest to be the best in the neighborhood. I know in WI many are limited on what they can cut. If not I would cut more aggressively than my neighbor, and cut it with a huntable plan. Until your bedding is equal or better, and your access is adequate, its hard to hold the deer. Bedding is key. Make yours the best.

Until my bedding became better than the neighbors, I was always hunting THEIR DEER (thats right duck, I said their deer). Much easier hunting deer who bed and feed on you if you have the space to make it possible.

Well I will be hinge cutting a ton of bedding areas per the plan. Just like Steve does. The question is. Will those bucks still want to bed by the creek? Hmmmmm

So to summarize. I will be doing the following things he won't be doing (As far as I know)

1. Planting 1.5 acres of deer browse.
2. Planting 1.5 acres of thermal bedding.
3. Hinge cutting 18-20 bedding areas.
4. Making sidewalks between those hinge cut areas and forcing pinch points to my hunting spots
5. apple trees
6. I want to start planting swamp oak hybrids.

I think he is planning on counting on his bedding by the creek and putting in a ton of food plots but not much else.

Well I will be hinge cutting a ton of bedding areas per the plan. Just like Steve does. The question is. Will those bucks still want to bed by the creek? Hmmmmm

So to summarize. I will be doing the following things he won't be doing (As far as I know)

1. Planting 1.5 acres of deer browse.
2. Planting 1.5 acres of thermal bedding.
3. Hinge cutting 18-20 bedding areas.
4. Making sidewalks between those hinge cut areas and forcing pinch points to my hunting spots
5. apple trees
6. I want to start planting swamp oak hybrids.

I think he is planning on counting on his bedding by the creek and putting in a ton of food plots but not much else.

You will see first year results from Steve's hinge/walk/pinch points if you hunt them right.

Browse/thermal/oaks gonna be a much longer ride. But thats okay and how it works.

Neighbors who are improving the habitat and not shooting young bucks, no brainer positive for you compared to a brown and down neighbor. Sure he MIGHT get a big buck or two per year that you were after but those big bucks will be much more common in your area with him doing what is he doing compared to only you doing it.

Overall I would expect your deer hunting to improve with his.

If he is only shooting 3.5 and up I would say that is your silver lining. I would look at it as one combined property. Once the rut starts his bucks will be looking for your does. He might have an advantage early season but after that I think you will be in a great spot.

If he is only shooting 3.5 and up I would say that is your silver lining. I would look at it as one combined property. Once the rut starts his bucks will be looking for your does. He might have an advantage early season but after that I think you will be in a great spot.

Steves hinges will put bucks in your lap during the rut. I have seen it happen.

#5 and #6 will be your friend ;) and an early season key if your neighbor doesn't have any. Rut is rut, they will be chasing on your place anyway. I would keep the hybrid oak thing to myself, if it were me.

How much land does he have compared to you?

If you find out what he's planting in his plot, offer something different in yours.

I'd also rather have that neighbor than a brown is down, poaching neighbor.