All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interstate I55 Apple project (first time grafting)

This is my first year grafting and I have B-118 and MM-111 rootstocks - no Antonovka. Both 118 and 111 roots have some signs of bud swell and cracking open on the grafted scions. The scions were the terminal ends with 2 lower buds on each.

Is the I55 apple a late-hanger ??

This is my first year grafting and I have B-118 and MM-111 rootstocks - no Antonovka. Both 118 and 111 roots have some signs of bud swell and cracking open on the grafted scions. The scions were the terminal ends with 2 lower buds on each.

Is the I55 apple a late-hanger ??

This stuff is addicting isn't it bowsnbucks!? I checked grafts again this ev an 9 out of 10 showing signs of life! Hope they continue to progress!
The I55 is a late drop Apple. What trees did you graft this yr?
I did 4 I55's, 1 Arkansas black, 1 enterprise, 2 Yates, an 2 horse apples.

Sorry, Jordan - I just got back to check this thread. I grafted some locally collected late - hanging apple scion (unknown variety) onto 3 B-118 roots and 3 MM-111 roots. If any of those survive and grow, they'll make great additions to my camp apple & crab assortment for feeding deer thru January & into February.

The hole batch. I used teflon tape on some and electric on the others and wax from toilet bowl ring to seal up the grafts
View attachment 4412
View attachment 4413
It has been recommended to not be sitting on the toilet when you start using the wax ring.

I couldn't resist....

Update
The I55 apple grafts on antonovka are a little slower than several of the others but are starting to take off
IMG_2252.JPG
Here is a Arkansas black on B118
image1 (32).JPG

Looking good!

image.jpg

Stopped by to check on the parent I55 tree a couple days ago and it is healthy as ever and loaded with apples! I think this tree is every bit of 20ft tall with a pretty thick trunk! I am at 100% success with my 4 I55 Apple grafts! Hope they continue to do well. Will take some pics of the grafts soon

Last edited:
Jordan
Just think what that tree could produce with more light and annual care. The nice thing is you know that tree will grow nice apples in your area so it's perfect for your land.
I hope your right. I cant figure out for the life of me what is pollinating it. I watched close this past spring as i drive through frequently and didn't see any other trees flowering. A good friend of mine showed me this tree and told me it drops late and the apples taste great. He had been stopping and picking apples off it for many years. He has grown several trees from its seeds which are producing at his farm in N Mo. Hope it turns out to be a good one.

Great job on the I-55 grafts, Jordan. I hope you get lots of good growth on them over the summer. They'll make good additions to your plantings.