Interesting Looking Bird Eggs

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
Found this little nest today in a clump of Bluestem while walking the pasture. They are about the size of a fingernail the bird that flushed off nest was brown and a little bigger than sparrow.
Thought I could look them up easily to see what kind of bird it was but am not having any luck finding them on the internet?

They are very distinctive with the baseball stripe on them. Wish I would have got a better look at mama…normally it is just some type of ground sparrow.

mgO6cQm.jpg

Painted bunting eggs are similar, don't know if its a match.

Carolina wren?

Did you take the pic around Easter? :emoji_smile:

Velociraptor?

bill

Bobolink?

Painted bunting eggs are similar, don't know if its a match.

I think you got it!
I found this pic.

oS4MWHt.jpg

Cool that something like that is breeding out at the farm, I've never even heard of one.

I just read up on them some and it is weird they are even nesting here, more of a southern bird.
One article did say that they have been spotted in Central Park in NY in the past.

I've had luck setting up a trail cam at nests to see what they were. Wouldn't have thought a painted bunting would be this far north.

I've had luck setting up a trail cam at nests to see what they were. Wouldn't have thought a painted bunting would be this far north.

I am so off my trail cam game right now with as busy as work is I’ve barely been getting anything set up for deer.
I’m not even sure I could find the nest again.

Bill is prolly right with it being a bobolink after net surfing some more. And it would make more sense that it might be here. Although I’ve never seen or heard of either species trying to ever nest or live in my high ag area of the state.

What I do think is neat is that a pair of birds rare for my area of the world found my little fifteen acre pasture and decided that habitat would make a good home to raise a family.

I also of the opinion that is a Bobolink nest. I found a picture from Cornell university that was almost a match. We have them move thru here in NW Pa in the spring time and your pasture would be perfect natural habitat for them