Imidan and Captan "dosage"

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
For those of you who are new to spraying apple trees, let me point out a few things that may be confusing to you. I am NOT an expert, but have done enough that I think this will help the new members and consider it a way to give back because Lord knows some on here were very patient with me and a big help!

If you look at the Imidan label it calls for 3/4 to 1 pound per hundred gallons. That is 1 ounce for every 6.25 gallons of water. Or, .16 ounces per gallon if we go with 1 pound per 100 gallons of water. Let's round it up and say .2 ounces per gallon. Personally I think that is the minimum amount that you may want to use. I sprayed at that level yesterday because all 100 of my apple trees were somewhere between green tip and pink. Some recommend spraying pesticides (Imidan) between 1/2 green and full pink. Normally, I don't but I think a light dose of Imidan now is a good thing. It is a bit of an experiment because if my trees that were at or near full pink do not get pollinated (and I don't think that will be a problem) I will know not to spray after 1/2 green. You will also see some who recommend using 1 oz per gallon or as much as 2 oz per gallon. That is a huge difference from .2 oz per gallon. I believe it would be prudent to spay higher doses at 90 percent petal fall and for the next 30 days since that seems to be the most critical time frame. Then I do like the idea of going to Nova/Rally later in the year.

As for Captan, there does not seem to be as much variation in what folks use. They seem to use either 1 oz (two tablespoons) per gallon or 2 oz per gallon. I think Ben recommended .5 ounces in threads on QDMA and that is what I have always went with. Remember there is Captan 50 and 80. Read the labels and I will hope an expert here provides suggestions as to which is best to use and when.

Finally, REMEMBER NO CAPTAN WITHIN 10 DAYS OF OIL.

Shameless bump. Good info.

For those of you who are new to spraying apple trees, let me point out a few things that may be confusing to you. I am NOT an expert, but have done enough that I think this will help the new members and consider it a way to give back because Lord knows some on here were very patient with me and a big help!

If you look at the Imidan label it calls for 3/4 to 1 pound per hundred gallons. That is 1 ounce for every 6.25 gallons of water. Or, .16 ounces per gallon if we go with 1 pound per 100 gallons of water. Let's round it up and say .2 ounces per gallon. Personally I think that is the minimum amount that you may want to use. I sprayed at that level yesterday because all 100 of my apple trees were somewhere between green tip and pink. Some recommend spraying pesticides (Imidan) between 1/2 green and full pink. Normally, I don't but I think a light dose of Imidan now is a good thing. It is a bit of an experiment because if my trees that were at or near full pink do not get pollinated (and I don't think that will be a problem) I will know not to spray after 1/2 green. You will also see some who recommend using 1 oz per gallon or as much as 2 oz per gallon. That is a huge difference from .2 oz per gallon. I believe it would be prudent to spay higher doses at 90 percent petal fall and for the next 30 days since that seems to be the most critical time frame. Then I do like the idea of going to Nova/Rally later in the year.

As for Captan, there does not seem to be as much variation in what folks use. They seem to use either 1 oz (two tablespoons) per gallon or 2 oz per gallon. I think Ben recommended .5 ounces in threads on QDMA and that is what I have always went with. Remember there is Captan 50 and 80. Read the labels and I will hope an expert here provides suggestions as to which is best to use and when.

Finally, REMEMBER NO CAPTAN WITHIN 10 DAYS OF OIL.

I would like to add that Captan is sold as a liquid and as wettable powder, and in different concentrations. Please read all instructions and warning lables and do your own math to calculate the strength of your insecticide. (I use a 15 gallon tank so I calculate per 15 (or 5) gallons.) Also, remember that plum curculio hits buds/flowers and leaves hard. If you spray before the leaves open, they are not protected. As soon as petal fall is over spray again to get the leaves that have opened since the first spray. These are arguably the most important two sprays, just before petal-open and just after petal-fall.