I want crabs.

ethompson

5 year old buck +
Joking aside, I have been lurking for years on this site and I hear a lot about crab apples. Do they grow in hot humid mild winter conditions? Never even tasted crab apples that I know of. I am in East Texas where it can reach 100 degree for 2-4 months straight. Be without rain for months at a time. Do they make a crab apple for my area? Thanks

I'd be looking at TX A&M or UTX for info.

There's one called the southern crab apple. I've hunted a couple of properties in Louisiana where they grew wild along fence lines.

Malus angustifolia.....

I can grow them in van zandt county

Bought them bare root from Arborgen nursery in Bullard Texas

bill

Not long ago I ran across an article that you westerners and cowboys might be interested in. I was able to find it again tonight. If I were you, I would be contacting these guys. They are experts on apples and crabapples in your climate and location....and it does make a big difference in what works and what doesn't.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/res...-forgotten-apples-to-reimagine-cider-11406652

Last edited:
Joking aside, I have been lurking for years on this site and I hear a lot about crab apples. Do they grow in hot humid mild winter conditions? Never even tasted crab apples that I know of. I am in East Texas where it can reach 100 degree for 2-4 months straight. Be without rain for months at a time. Do they make a crab apple for my area? Thanks

Perfect company for your approach with link below ... :emoji_wink:

Morse Nursery