I started early... for me.

35-acre

5 year old buck +
Well, I got ambitious and got my field going early this year. I'm hoping that will allow things to get started well. I'm trying to get my field back to where it was 2 years ago (which was a nice field of clover, and then I sprayed it to plant brassicas, turnips, etc. - DUMB MISTAKE). Given what I've learned (many, many, many lessons), I'm just trying to establish some stuff that will come back year after year (again). However, this field was about 8 hours of work and maybe $300 in supplies, so who knows where my mind will wander and what it will come up to do next...

For this year:
So I've got mostly chicory and clover seed down at twice the seeding rate. This is my primary goal, I looked into this seed and adjusted my planting for it (I had to add phosphates with the planting too as recommended)
I also put down 50 lbs of oats and a 15-20lb bag of something like "shot plot" or some-such thing that has a mix of stuff (looked like a lot of oats to me).
Hauled the close to 400 lbs of stuff into the woods/to my small field by ATV.
Spread it all via a 15lb over the shoulder broadcaster.
Then I mowed it with my riding lawn mower. I can't believe I didn't hit 1 rock!
Then I dragged it with my ATV (harrow rake, spikes down).
The following morning I did some targeted spraying of a creeping weed that seemed like it might shade out some of my seed.
The next night it rained really well for an hour.
Now I just need to wait and see how things grow.

1656423689262.png

I’ve got a winter rye/winter wheat plot that I over seeded in white clover that didn’t really take so I’ll disc it in early September and try again this year to get a nice clover stand established. I should almost try a stand of buckwheat in the interim if I can find a bag of buckwheat seed I may do that. I really like to frost seed clover but I don’t always get that accomplished.

I started my brassica plantings a lot earlier this year. July 2nd opposed to early august last year. They just didn't seem to grow much last year. Most of the plants were just one 8" or so leaf. I'm hoping I get a little more volume this year. I planted oats way too early last year though. Planted it in early august as a nurse crop to clover and chicory. It was much more mature than what I wanted it to be by October. The deer still seemed to eat it though. I have videos of them ripping full plants right out the ground and eating them whole.

I mowed my plots with a push mower. I did hit one rock though. Couldn't get it out of the ground either so I'm going to have to go back and spray paint it so I can avoid it next time.

I started my brassica plantings a lot earlier this year. July 2nd opposed to early august last year. They just didn't seem to grow much last year. Most of the plants were just one 8" or so leaf. I'm hoping I get a little more volume this year. I planted oats way too early last year though. Planted it in early august as a nurse crop to clover and chicory. It was much more mature than what I wanted it to be by October. The deer still seemed to eat it though. I have videos of them ripping full plants right out the ground and eating them whole.

I mowed my plots with a push mower. I did hit one rock though. Couldn't get it out of the ground either so I'm going to have to go back and spray paint it so I can avoid it next time.
It stinks when you hit a rock.

I'm noticing that I have a lot of crows now, likely getting after the oats (seed) that I put down. Actually I had a big uptick in field visits by all kinds of stuff: bears, yotes, coons, fox, groundhog, fawn/doe, bucks, and so on. Sure its a field and the only one around but it's shocking how much comes in after I mow and plant.

I always have bear come in after I work the land. Curious most likely.