All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't win!

j-bird

Well - I set up my cam in a plot and really didn't get anything. I saw the deer digging in the neighbors filed for corn in the snow, so I went out and dug a small trench in the snow in front of my trail cam in my plot and put down 100lbs of corn. In a week I got nothing! When I went out to check it today I was not happy.

Here is the set up.
cam setup.jpg

He wasn't afraid of me or the dog! He played "opossum" and then waddled his fat butt back to the creek!
opo and buddy.jpg

Maybe all the deer went with Foggy south for the winter :D, looks pretty thick behind your camera

Maybe all the deer went with Foggy south for the winter :D, looks pretty thick behind your camera
That is a switchgrass planting that serves as a screen for the plot between it and the corn field - it has a slight grade to it so it looks thicker and taller than it really is. I drilled switchgrass, indian grass and big bluestem in my CRP and the non-plot areas 2 years ago to bolster the security factor.

just frustrating how I go to these steps to get some deer on cam - and they seem to ignore my efforts even though I can see 15 of them digging for corn not but a few hundred yards away. Instead I just get fat opossum!

I looks like it works good for screening

LOL, good one....

I looks like it works good for screening
It was better than what I had. The NWSG in there is in it's second year so hopefully it will get even thicker and taller. I have been pleased thus far. I am trying to expand it to other areas where cover is week. My area doesn't have lots of areas of tall grass so the deer are still figuring it out to some extent.

Might try dumping a packet of grape coolaid mix in that corn and get some smell in the air.

Might try dumping a packet of grape coolaid mix in that corn and get some smell in the air.

Mollasses dried or wet brings them to corn quicker as well. Possumasses does nothing for attracting deer.

I'll check this weekend and see what has happened. I may try to add something with some "Stank" to see if that helps. Hopefully my buddy has moved on as well.

I don't know how you keep the crows off of it? On our place it would be a solid mass of crows until it was gone...

I don't know how you keep the crows off of it? On our place it would be a solid mass of crows until it was gone...
So far no pics of crows. No pics of deer either. I'll check it this weekend as see. I'm actually starting to wonder if I don't have an issue with a setting or the cam itself. I'll be pissed if its the cam - I got it brand new for x-mas.

There is snow. U should be able to see tracks if deer were coming in.

There is snow. U should be able to see tracks if deer were coming in.
The snow is gone now (was gone last week) - when I had snow I had just put the corn out so I figured it would take the deer some time to find it. Thus far I got pics of 1 buck, my dogs and some fat guy (he was an ugly SOB too) on a tractor. The sensor seems to have a decent detection range so I think I just suck at attracting deer.

Maybe I need to start hunting opossums! At least I can attract them!

Well it turns out lots of things like corn..... And it doesn't take much to trigger the cam.

Squirrels. Notice the corn is virtually gone!
SW squirrel.jpg

Birds. Not sure what type of bird the bigger one is.
SW birds.jpg

And I guess the deer decided the deer thought it was a buffet!
SW deer party.jpg

So FINALLY some deer pics!