I-beam

b116757

5 year old buck +
I scored a semi load of 12”x4”x9’ I-beams yesterday 49 in total I’ll likely use them to extend some chicken house trusses to put up a new shop over on the new farm when I get around to it. I believe they were originally for an extremely heavy duty pallet storage system of some sort.

Attachments

• IMG_1219.jpeg
    IMG_1219.jpeg
    766.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1221.jpeg
    IMG_1221.jpeg
    575.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1220.jpeg
    IMG_1220.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 37
Where do you find this stuff?

I luv picking up useful chunks of iron for scrap value, sometimes a bit less! Still drooling over those heavy shipping modules you got for $50 each awhile back.

What I can't seem to get a killer deal on is pallet racking. Every Joe Smoe can find a use for that and I see fellas that buy that stuff to flip on Craigslist or FBMP pretty regular at darn near every auction.

Last edited:
Where do you find this stuff?
Facebook marketplace mostly. I didn’t give scrap price on these $87 each still cheaper than retail for sure but these are quite useful so I didn’t mind paying a bit for them. I called my steel supplier and he was $12 a foot on 12” 14lb I-beam and $19 a foot on 12” 22lb I-beam I think these are the 22lb but I won’t know until tomorrow morning when they arrive here at the house. Those engine shipping modules have been absolutely fantastic I built two 4x8 roll around welding tables for in the shop two more for outside the shop. Modified two of them as fence pipe storage racks used a couple more for precut fence post storage. I sold about 4 of them to a couple work buddies more or less for cost for heavy duty workbenches. I bought 24 of them and wish now I would have bought 36 they are pretty groovy and I’ve got three boys so they will all be used with time. On buying pallet racking I’ve found the best prices are where a company is selling out a bunch of it in a bundle at one price for the pile, not individually priced pieces. The trouble is for most folks that’s way more pallet rack than they can possibly use. I bought 150ish feet of 12’ tall pallet rack for $2000 or so about 20 years ago and love it for shop storage. Mine is the bit older slotted style Rid-U-rack if I was to do it today I’d buy teardrop style it’s become more common than the slotted style.

Edit my bad. Guess I can't read a tape at a quick glance Those flanges look somewhat close to 1/4" so maybe those were built with W12 x 14.0 beams

Yeah the big piles of racking the price per piece comes way down but I'm not into the resell game to recoup some dollars. Been trying to get some where maybe 1 or 2 sections buried in an auction and out in the sticks. The flipper Boyz don't wanna bother with those. Missed my chance once already. Also trying to stick with 36" width if possible. Pole barn is not the big and every foot counts

Last edited:
I'd love to score something like that. great start to beams for building some bridges at the farm.

That I-beam is 5/16 flange and about 9/16 web thickness 4 3/16 x12 1/4 idk what lb it is

Hmmm that is a bit of an odd duck with the web being thicker than the flanges. Even if you transpose the numbers you still don't come near a typical standard size for an I beam or a wide flange one. But I never got into the structural side of things much anyway. Mostly rolls and shafting and some of that was going towards carbon fiber over steel. What you have doesn't show up in a couple steel catalogs I've hung on to for forever for a reference.

ok this afternoon we spent a little time accually take some good measurements on these things it must w12x22 or something very close flange measured .358” web was .289” they weighed 205 pounds each but there is that 1/4” bolt plate on each end so they must be 22lb I-beam. I think when I was rough measuring the web this morning I must of been hitting the weld for the end plates threw my measurement way off on web thickness.

Last edited:
Just saw 40 ft of pallet racking go for $1750 plus about 16% for auction fee and sales tax at auction today. That is about the same price for 1/4 the length you paid for yours about 20 yrs ago. Times have changed. It did include wire shelves for each section and looked like always kept inside anyway.