I’d don’t think it will ever rain again

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
In western ky. No measurable rain near me since Labor Day weekend. None in the forecast. Was holding out some major hope for this hurricane but nope…she decided to track east. You couldn’t sneak up on a dead deer on my place right now. I hate bone dry. It depresses me. Anyone else in a bad spot right now?

In western ky. No measurable rain near me since Labor Day weekend. None in the forecast. Was holding out some major hope for this hurricane but nope…she decided to track east. You couldn’t sneak up on a dead deer on my place right now. I hate bone dry. It depresses me. Anyone else in a bad spot right now?
Yep, headed toward brown and crispy for the second time this summer. Two rains totaling four tenths since mid august and none in the forcast, west central Mo.

You should probably see some fall-out from storm Ian.

Same here. Not a drop.

SE Kansas very dry also. I got to get out and water fruit trees tomorrow evening. Native trees are mostly drying up and loosing their leaves it’s definitely a bit early for that to be happening. North of us an hour they have had a bit more rain those trees are still green not even starting normal fall color quite yet. We are throwing up a fence on a field we been haying but a good portion of that area is pasture not suited to hay and we need the grass for my pasture tenant. I pushed out a 1/8 mile of fence on the west end of that area two years ago we hadn’t been in any particular hurry to replace it but this fall the pasture is needed do to this drought. We had a similar drought a couple years ago and we ended up feeding 500 round bales that fall/winter.

It’s awful here in Idaho.

83 degrees yesterday

Right smack dab in the middle of dry times here too. Got this recently in an email; that our county is eligible for assistance for drought. Lots of guys have already sold their older and lesser conditioned cows and are now looking to sell their whole herds. Looking like there will be fewer cows in the US next year than possibly any other time in recent history.​

"Multiple Counties qualify for 2022 Livestock Forage Program (LFP) Drought Assistance on Grazed Pasture.​

cows
Cowley, Elk, Chautauqua, Butler, Sumner, and Sedgwick Counties are eligible to apply for 2022 Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP) benefits on native pasture and full season improved pasture for grazing."​

Brings back memories of 2006 and 2011 in east texas

The ONLY redeeming features is the opportunity to clean trails,fencelines,etc in bottomlands of the property

bill
After 2011, hypoxylon canker took out half my mature oak trees

Yeah, I've got no fall food on my place this year.

Seeded and reseeded with no measurable rain since late July. I don't count less than 2/10th cause that shit just gets seed to germinate then fry.

For everyone in the droughty area, have you noticed any difference in deer or antler size yet? Myself and others in the area have noticed that deer body sizes are comparable to normal years, but a lot of the bucks have lower antler mass this year. Could this be from the drought? I would think that drought would affect nutrition, which if that is the cause of the reduced antler mass that it would also affect body size negatively too. Maybe it is just hard to estimate body size year to year from photos and that is also affected?

I'll try and dig up some reference photos to show what I am talking about.

I know top end elk in the southwest can lose 30” on their Boone and Crockett score in drought years. I could see whitetail antlers being impacted as well.

Definitely a good topic for the MSU guys. In my unexpert opinion I would think it would be negligible in places that receive plenty of humidity and high dew points. I’ve read or heard that deer get most of their water intake from plants anyway. Combine that with farm ponds everywhere and a million creeks I’d be hard pressed to think a summer/fall drought in the east and Midwest would put much of a dent on antler size. I could definitely see it in places like Kansas and Texas where they have no water and low humidity

The only impact I've noticed so far is density, instead of the 12-15 deer in the plot/orchard last year, now I only have three.20211118_161425.jpg

Idk on antler size but if this drought holds my ponds will likely be the best places for stand locations this year