Hyslop Crab Apple

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Came across this one locally from our local master gardeners group. Planted 2 last spring and they did well. Fruit size is 1.0" and listed as hardy to -50 F. Described as a vigorous grower.

Looks like a good wildlife tree for deer. Anyone else have experience with Hyslop?

Looks like a good wildlife tree for deer. Anyone else have experience with Hyslop?
We HAD 2 Hyslop crabs. Bears got them. I will not buy more Hyslops for this reason- they have a VERY short time when they're edible - for anything. They get very dry and mealy after only a couple days here. If you or any critter wants to eat them - better act quickly. They ARE a very good pollinator for other apples and crabs. ACN sells them just for pollination. We have over 80 apple & crab trees, so losing 2 Hyslop crabs doesn't make a difference for pollination at our place. We have many varieties of apples and crabs, so our trees get pollinated.

Are you looking for food crabs for critters - or pollinator crabs for other trees? FWIW - our best wildlife crabs are Chestnut crab (E), Winter Wildlife crab, All-Winter-Hangover (E), Dolgo (E), Nova Scotia, and Centurion. (E) = good to eat.

bowsnbucks, do you send out scions. The all winter hangover tree isn't offered by SLN anymore, or they renamed it.

bowsnbucks, do you send out scions. The all winter hangover tree isn't offered by SLN anymore, or they renamed it.
I have sent out scions before to some guys on here. GETTING TO CAMP in March and early April when I normally try prune our trees can be a crap-shoot. Some years I can't get there to prune while the trees are dormant. Our access roads are on the north (and very shady) side of our mountain. We tend to have snow and ice on those roads into April some years ........... and our elevation is high enough that we get snow & ice up there all winter long when the surrounding lower areas get little snow or rain instead. If I can get there this coming March / April, I'll cut you some scion from AWH. Don't worry about postage - it's no big deal. I like helping other outdoor guys with their projects. A couple dollars is no big deal ........ my contribution to the cause!!!!!

David at century farms sells them and has a pretty detailed description on his site.
He is super responsive to emails for any questions

I have sent out scions before to some guys on here. GETTING TO CAMP in March and early April when I normally try prune our trees can be a crap-shoot. Some years I can't get there to prune while the trees are dormant. Our access roads are on the north (and very shady) side of our mountain. We tend to have snow and ice on those roads into April some years ........... and our elevation is high enough that we get snow & ice up there all winter long when the surrounding lower areas get little snow or rain instead. If I can get there this coming March / April, I'll cut you some scion from AWH. Don't worry about postage - it's no big deal. I like helping other outdoor guys with their projects. A couple dollars is no big deal ........ my contribution to the cause!!!!!
Thanks, that would be great.

My camp has a short driveway, but crosses a well groomed snowmobile trail. Sometimes I'm 50 yards away, but have a 4ft wall of snow. Our more scholarly club members have gotten stuck or damaged their trucks trying hard to get that last 50 yards.

I have studded snows for my dodge ram 1500. I also bought chains for my honda rancher incase I need a bit extra. Worse case scenario, Polaris 2up sled with studs and big ice fishing sled.

Scions is another matter, but I have read you can prune a bit more in early summer than you should in the winter. I have pruned several times. I litterally cut a apple tree in half in july when I bought my last home. Was a good tree, but like 20ft tall and likely a smaller rootstock variety. Was not producing the year I cut it,, but the next year looked like a christmas tree with tons of red bulbs on it. No clue on what it was.

Scions is another matter, but I have read you can prune a bit more in early summer than you should in the winter.
I've heard from a nursery owner that you can get scion or buds from apple trees later in the year too. I have no experience with grating or budding later in the year, so I don't know the process. I've never bud-grafted anything so I don't know any of that. If you know how to graft or bud later in the year - that can make it easier to get scion for you if the winter road & switchback conditions on our mountain don't allow access. We typically have camp work weekends around the 3rd weekend in April. PM me so I can get your mailing address.