Hybrid Acorns (Schuettes)

jdb2095

Yearling... With promise
Would anyone here be willing to sell / ship Schuettes acorns from their trees? (Preferably northern areas as I’m located in Zone 4B - West of Minneapolis, MN).

I’m looking to reintroduce Oaks to a historically consistent floodplain that has matured into a Silver Maple canopy (Seasonal Spring Flooding).

From research, it seems the Schuettes hybrid would be a great fit but sourcing outside of direct saplings seems difficult.

I’d be happy to pay all costs associated!

If you strike out on the Schuette's you could collect plenty of straight SWO for yourself. They are a few weeks from heavy drop. I am west of Somalia also and there are SWOs planted all over the local towns. The local NRCS offices sell lots of SWOs in their spring sales. I have planted them and they are good little trees and pretty cheap.

Maybe make a visit to the Arboretum in Chaska.

If I had any I would . Great tree, Kelly Tree Farm in Iowa has seedlings if you want some for the spring … ..

Set an alert at Sheffield's. Acorns usually come in stock soon.

Great choice. The 16-24” schuettes seedlings from Kelly’s I planted last spring are to the top of their 5’ tree tubes now in a spot that’s been soggy since spring in kanabec county mn.

Would be nice to try direct seeding there too.

Last edited:
Appreciate all the responses and the tip on Sheffields. Will also have to look into Kelly’s because I’ve seen their name pop up a few times now… they must be doing something right!

Great choice. The 16-24” schuettes seedlings from Kelly’s I planted last spring are to the top of their 5’ tree tubes now in a spot that’s been soggy since spring in kanabec county mn.

Would be nice to try direct seeding there too.

Those trees are great in Minnesota, but would be insane in SW Wisconsin , Iowa, Missouri etc…. Depending on soils.

Those trees are great in Minnesota, but would be insane in SW Wisconsin , Iowa, Missouri etc…. Depending on soils.

They sure seem like goldilocks for me.. I have zero white oaks, only burr and they drop so soon. These seem to do great in my wet ground and if by some miracle i still have the land in 20 years, a later white acorn drop would be cool!