How tall for wheat, rye and oats to start to seed?

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I planted a lot of new food plots this year and two contain alfalfa. Although I tried to write down everything that went into the seed mix, I can’t remember if I put oats rye wheat or any of the three in those fields. Both of those fields had one of the three in them this spring that went to seed, so when I worked those fields even though they had been sprayed with Gly in late July and early August there could have been a fair amount of germination from dormant seed. Here are my concerns:

1. I don’t want so much cover that it crowds out the alfalfa and I honestly don’t know how much that takes but there is a lot of “something” in those two fields.

2. I write something because those fields have had grass in them and it could have went to seed too. As long as the crop doesn’t crowd out the alfalfa I am not real worried, but I don’t want run of the mill grass growing. Some of it is about 12-16 inches tall and has started to seed.

3. I am 10 hours from the farm now, but when I return I will post some pics. Any help regarding whether I should spray to kill the grass or cover would help. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say “if” you planted it and it’s throwing seed heads that’s the oats. Though I’ve never planted wheat so? Rye really needs to winter over to produce a good seed head.

Pics will help.

Hit it with Clethodium. I agree that it's oats if it hasn't overwintered.

If the alfalfa has been growing since spring, and the grass is just starting, the alfalfa should be fine. Alfalfa roots go deeper into the soil than regular turf grass, or even oats, reaching up to 6 feet deep in just a year. I'd just leave it be.

I have a similar problem in my perennial orchard plot. I sprayed cleth in July and got a good kill. We also had a serious dry spell in July and August so grasses were all dead. Then I broadcast rye and oats, timed pretty well with a wet week. Now I've got lots of stuff growing, but can't tell if it's oats, rye, or plain grass making a comeback.

Sorry for the confusion. The Alfalfa and what is probably oats have been growing since about August 15.

Hit it with Clethodium. I agree that it's oats if it hasn't overwintered.

So you are like me in that there is a concern the oats will choke out the Alfalfa - correct?

So you are like me in that there is a concern the oats will choke out the Alfalfa - correct?

Actually, no I wouldn't be that worried. The oats will winter kill. Just saying it's easy to take care of, if you wanted to.

When I add oats to my clover/alfalfa plots I either let it go or I'll mow high trying to stay above the clover/alfalfa.

Farmers plant oats with there alfalfa every spring in my neck of the woods every spring. A lot of them let the head out and combine them. They are left with a beautiful weed free stand of alfalfa come July/August after the oat harvest.