Hounds & yokes, first timer

Reagan

5 year old buck +
I had my first run in with a coyote and hound on Saturday but it was not of the Dipper variety.

I was rabbit hunting with my Dad and cousin. The cousin has four beagles who are pretty good at chasing cottontails. We had been out an hour or so when we entered a clear cut that I would guess is 20+ acres and been growing for maybe five years now. The last two years have let us stay in the cut for much of the day since it is usually loaded with bunnies. The dogs were scattered out looking for a fresh trail when the first one struck. I expected to see the other dogs run over and join in the chase.

I was standing in an old logging road when a beagle broke out of the brush and ran at me like it's ass was one fire. It took a second to realize that about 3 steps behind him was a coyote that was closing in on it's breakfast. I yelled coyote and pulled up on him, at that instant the coyote realized he was not alone and made an instant 90 degree turn. I fired when he was about 15 yards. He yelped and kept on going. It felt like I hit him in the front half but it happened so fast there was no way to know for sure. The coyote disappeared into the brush. No blood trial and no sign of him the rest of the day.

At first my cousin thought I was shooting his dog. It happened very fast and was very chaotic. I was shook up like I had just put and arrow through a big buck. And one beagle was a pretty timid for the next hour.

Since I was shooting a single shot .410 with number sixes, I was a little under gunned. :D If he lived, I expect that coyote to think twice before trying to eat a dog the next time.

I can now see the excitement that could come with coyote hunting with hounds. I need to find some houndsmen in my area if there are any and try it for real sometime. If I do get a chance to really hunt them, I'll be packing my 12 gage with #4 buck.

Ipad auto correct is a pain. Yotes. Not yokes

There's a lot more in life than sitting around waiting for a deer to walk by. It's kinda like an audible deer drive of chaos. My cop buddy said its just like chasing a criminal who is trying to flee.