Hot building

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
My metal post frame building sure gets hot when shut up all day.It overheats my solar equipt also.Has anyone put in a some kind of wind circulating vent or anything that might help circulate some air? Also for those that have solar do you leave your batteries and equipt. inside?

My metal post frame building sure gets hot when shut up all day.It overheats my solar equipt also.Has anyone put in a some kind of wind circulating vent or anything that might help circulate some air? Also for those that have solar do you leave your batteries and equipt. inside?
I don't know anything about venting a building like that, but I might reach out to whomever built that one and see if they have some vent options that'll work for you.

How do you know your solar is overheating? Is your charge controller throwing some kind of warning?

In my lumber drying kiln I have a power vent unit connected to a common Ranco programmable thermostat works very well for that purpose. A similar arrangement could easily be adapted to your purpose but is perhaps higher tech than really needed maybe just some gable end vents on both ends would be enough.

My steel pole building has perforated soffits on either side.......and a ridge vent down the middle. Seems to help with moderating the super heat........but it still is hot to work in my shed on a hot day. I sure wish I had a door on the opposite end wall from my main door.

This is probably an overkill depending on your use of the place, but spray insulation would help a lot.

Anyone use those self-spinning stack-type vents ...... I think they're called "whisper-cool" or some such name?? Even the slightest breeze makes them spin, pulling heat up & out of the roof. No electricity needed.1 or 2 of those combined with gable vents should pull a lot of heat out.

Anyone use those self-spinning stack-type vents ...... I think they're called "whisper-cool" or some such name?? Even the slightest breeze makes them spin, pulling heat up & out of the roof. No electricity needed.1 or 2 of those combined with gable vents should pull a lot of heat out.
We have had those on a couple of our bigger shop buildings. The type we had pretty much was just an easy "relief" for hot air but they would also freeze in place and allow snow/moisture into the top of the buildings in the winter time which is half of the year here. We wound up replacing the turbines with ridge vents that still let the hot out without allowing the moisture in. Plus the turbines would sometimes be scattered on the property after really bad storms. Ridge vents are maintenance free.

An old radiator with cold water slowly trickling through with a fan behind it will help with areas that are probably 800 square feet or less. That requires a water source with some type of drain or outlet for the water coming out of the radiator. Ceiling fans help a lot with circulation. Shade makes a big difference but wouldn't help the solar aspect for you. Couple of fans lined up to move air would be the cheapest route I would think. How big is the building?

I added vents at the ridge peak and vents at the floor. They helped. On my current building, I have a 2' dia. exhaust fan ... that really helps.

We have had those on a couple of our bigger shop buildings. The type we had pretty much was just an easy "relief" for hot air but they would also freeze in place and allow snow/moisture into the top of the buildings in the winter time which is half of the year here. We wound up replacing the turbines with ridge vents that still let the hot out without allowing the moisture in. Plus the turbines would sometimes be scattered on the property after really bad storms. Ridge vents are maintenance free.
Good points. I had a couple neighbors who used the no-power turbine types to good effect - but we don't have the winter weather you guys do.

I'm ridge vented but I have two industrial ceiling fans that run 24/7. Who ever built the barn skimped on the vapor barrier and it's the only way to dry the puddles when its humid....

I did find a fan that has louvers that open and close by this spring from the heat