Honeylocust Scions Available

R.E. Gould

5 year old buck +
Apparently there are scions available for honeylocust cultivars - you learn something new everyday! I've seen deer eating honeylocust pods around here in the late season. I'm sure they'd prefer the sweeter ones. I'm going to see if I can find some suckers or seedlings to try these out on. Anyone have experience grafting honeylocust and know when the best time to do it is?

Can you graft them on to black locust? That's all I have around me.

I think the main problem with grafting Honey Locust would be that Honey Locust send up suckers from the root system. Every sucker will be a clone of the parent meaning they will have thorns. At least I have never seen a Honey Locust growing in the wild that does not have thorns. From what I understand the grafted varieties are thornless. You will not be able to cut and chemically treat the suckers without eventually killing off your grafted tree since they essentially share the same root system.

Apparently there are scions available for honeylocust cultivars - you learn something new everyday! I've seen deer eating honeylocust pods around here in the late season. I'm sure they'd prefer the sweeter ones. I'm going to see if I can find some suckers or seedlings to try these out on. Anyone have experience grafting honeylocust and know when the best time to do it is?

I vaguely remember reading an article by David Osborne in Quality Whitetails or somewhere regarding honey locust for deer. It was years ago.

Everything is a compromise, take the good with the bad. There is good with Honey Locust. I suppose the bad that might equate the good could be the death of every deer in the county, or maybe someone dumping several tons of salt on every square inch of my land, or the biblical raining of sulfur.

There are companies selling thornless ones for wildlife.

The guys I bought my place from planted a few rows of thornless locusts. I’ve been mowing them down every year for about 17 years. Most of them have given up but a few keep returning. I just hate anything locust. That’s why I mow.

The guys I bought my place from planted a few rows of thornless locusts. I’ve been mowing them down every year for about 17 years. Most of them have given up but a few keep returning. I just hate anything locust. That’s why I mow.
I second that. I don't have any experience with honey locust but I have a bunch of black locust in my backyard and they are absolutely miserable. Constant dead limbs falling. Dig a hole and sever a root, guaranteed to sprout multiple thorny suckers. A friend of mine told me he once cut a few down for use as fence posts and they must not have been 100% dried out because he said the posts sprouted.

Can you graft them on to black locust? That's all I have around me.

No, I had the same thought about a year ago and looked into it. They are different Genus

I have plenty of honey locust even though I battle them every year. Lots of pods still laying on the ground uneaten. I am not saying deer dont eat them, but at my place, they do not attract deer in any numbers at all.

I wage a pretty heavy war on honey locust I’m sure wildlife utilizes them but the drawbacks outweigh any upside in my opinion when it comes to honey locust. I don’t hate black locust but I agree they are poor yard trees.

I vaguely remember reading an article by David Osborne in Quality Whitetails or somewhere regarding honey locust for deer. It was years ago.
I read a QDMA article listing top ten trees to plant for deer and honey locust made the list.
I've seena few up here in NE lower Michigan but I don't think they like the cold, they don't seem to spread.

I read a QDMA article listing top ten trees to plant for deer and honey locust made the list.
I've seena few up here in NE lower Michigan but I don't think they like the cold, they don't seem to spread.
You’re probably a bit out their native range they spread like wildfire in my area with thorns capable of puncturing tractor tires. Who ever put them on that list is laughing hysterically at the joke they pulled getting people to plant them.

Last edited:
Now that is funny

If I had hunting property in the northern part of honey locust's range, I would plant some of those improved varieties as an extreme late season mast tree. I wouldn't expect it to be a buck magnet every year, but it would certainly be worth trying it out to see what kind of deer they could draw in the late winter.