Honey Bee Help

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
Okay, got a wild hair up my ass and I am thinking of getting a few stands of bees to put in the orchard. When I was a youngster I did a ton of bee work with my grandfather. Today, I don’t recall much. If I am not trying to keep the stands for personal honey to sell, consume or otherwise, how much work is involved and how hard is it. I know that is a big set of questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go read the 5-6 threads already in place ... you will actually start to learn about the process ... with all your experience you could contribute something.

Go read the 5-6 threads already in place ... you will actually start to learn about the process ... with all your experience you could contribute something.

Oh you are going to make me do a search ha ha. Let me give that a try sit tight.

Oh you are going to make me do a search ha ha. Let me give that a try sit tight.

Yes, and then actually contribute based on what you already know and share what we might learn.

Here is the latest thread from Friday ...
Honey bees

WTNUT, I would suggest that you contact your local bee keeping club. Find out when they will hold a bee keeping class. It is usually around the first of the year. The reason that I am suggesting this is because a bee hive with the bees, brood boxes, supers, and other supplies is going to cost you $200.00+ per hive +. You need the information from that class in order to keep you bees alive. Your biggest problem keeping them alive is Varrora mites. You will have to treat your hives on a regular basis. Organic acids or brood breaks work for most. A copy of " The Hive and the Honey Bee" by Dadant would be a good investment. I would suggest that you take the class, join the bee club and start with two or three hives, never just one. After the first year of keeping them alive, you can split the hives or catch swarms to more that double your number of colonies. I started with two three years ago. I now have 25. If I can be of any further help on this, just let me know.

WTNUT, I would suggest that you contact your local bee keeping club. Find out when they will hold a bee keeping class. It is usually around the first of the year. The reason that I am suggesting this is because a bee hive with the bees, brood boxes, supers, and other supplies is going to cost you $200.00+ per hive +. You need the information from that class in order to keep you bees alive. Your biggest problem keeping them alive is Varrora mites. You will have to treat your hives on a regular basis. Organic acids or brood breaks work for most. A copy of " The Hive and the Honey Bee" by Dadant would be a good investment. I would suggest that you take the class, join the bee club and start with two or three hives, never just one. After the first year of keeping them alive, you can split the hives or catch swarms to more that double your number of colonies. I started with two three years ago. I now have 25. If I can be of any further help on this, just let me know.

probably closer to $200 for just the woodenware, PLUS cost of bees if you have to buy them.

Buying everything new can be expensive from buying hives, nucs and the tools that go with them, but the honey is priceless! Langstroth hives are supposed to be the best but I only know what I have read. I was given my first hive and now have 2 but lost all the bees in one hive less than a month ago so clearly I don't know what I am doing yet lol But I got honey the 2 years I have done it, roughly 100 pounds of honey each of my first 2 years.
If you can keep a hive going like TreeDaddy said above it is addicting. I wanted bees to help pollination of my plantings and in generally do my part to help the little sting(k)ers.

How much care does a hive need?
Less than a dog, more than a goldfish.

Thank you very much! I read a lot last night and “somethings” are starting to come back. From the time I could walk until my early teens I was in the bees all the time. I laughed a lot last night seeing how many different ways some deal with bringing swarms back. Ours always seemed to still be on the farm when they left and we cut the branch and brought it back. Lot of options out there.

If your handy at wood working you can build your own too hives, especially if you have access to lumber/scrap lumber. Then buy plastic or wax foundation... you have options