Hinge Cutting - in the fall? I only have late winter/early spring cutting experience

alldaysit

5 year old buck +
Hey y’all. I have only performed hinge cutting in late winter/early spring.

If I did some here in the fall, would the “survival rate” be the same or less?

Any info from members who have done it in the fall?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best time to treat ... make sure before hard freeze. see attached ... this source pretty much says it all!~

Best time to treat ... make sure before hard freeze. see attached ... this source pretty much says it all!~

Sorry bud, I wasn’t talking about hack-and-squirt methods for irradication of habitat.

I was referencing where one cuts ~50% of the way through the tree, and tips it over to provide structure, and food at head level for the deer, while attempting to ensure the tree survives.

My success rate in the late winter/spring is roughly 25% survival 1.5 years after It was cut. However, I have never cut in the fall and would like to improve the bedding on my small home parcel (5 acres). If I could do it now with the same potential tree survival rate, I would like to.

I do have about 50% pine to hinge, and I have failed to get pines to survive anyway; so it may not matter.

My mistake; don''t know how I missaed that .... feel rather foolish

never done it in the middle of winter but I would think the only issue would be if the tree sap is frozen they might snap easier.

never done it in the middle of winter but I would think the only issue would be if the tree sap is frozen they might snap easier.

I only cut in late winter or spring when it’s above freezing.

I’m gonna give it a shot and see how it goes. Hopefully the trees survive.

Sorry bud, I wasn’t talking about hack-and-squirt methods for irradication of habitat.

I was referencing where one cuts ~50% of the way through the tree, and tips it over to provide structure, and food at head level for the deer, while attempting to ensure the tree survives.

My success rate in the late winter/spring is roughly 25% survival 1.5 years after It was cut. However, I have never cut in the fall and would like to improve the bedding on my small home parcel (5 acres). If I could do it now with the same potential tree survival rate, I would like to.

I do have about 50% pine to hinge, and I have failed to get pines to survive anyway; so it may not matter.

I think most evergreens are tough to hinge even in winter and early spring. If you're not that worried about it dying, you'll at least have immediate structure/cover. Then in a year or two there will be other stuff growing up in and around it thanks to the additional sunlight. A family friend timbered his property last year and it's amazing how much cover there is just from the tree tops and weeds that grew up.