High canopy low cover help

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
Ive dabbled in dropping some trees over the last 3 years, not many and they were dropped along active trails to help steer movement. Property is 65 acres, has a ton of red maple, walnut pockets, and a couple red oak scattered. Id venture to estimate 90% red maple. Alot of the hinge cuts I did died already, not enough sun getting to them. I have a major ash die off and expect regen boom over the next couple years.

What do you guys reccomend as far opening the canopy? Clearcut, hinge pockets, girdle, etc? Have any of you found something that really works in hill country? Do you just do mini cuts, say an acre or two or a whole hillside? Do you cut in upper level of hill down to military crest? Ive listened to too much Jeff Sturgis at this point and want to know how you all tackle thickening hill properties up for deer?

Anyone in hills have a property tour on here

I have hinge cut in the hills. My first cut was a big area like 6 acres. We cut just about everything that was over 6 inch diameter. It made a mess. And the deer actually avoided it until I cut trails through it. Now after years of rot it’s a tangled mess and they use it.
My experience is north facing hills regenerate much slower than sour facing.

since then I’ve just done small areas of an acre or less.