"Hey Dad, remember deer season"?

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
My wife and daughter think I am insane when it comes to the fruit trees (yes I ordered more for a fall planting). We are at the farm now for a fall Labor Day get away. My 11 year old daughter brought a friend. My wife brought a book and they are all still asleep at the house while I eat and communicate with you from a local country diner. I took them to look at 80 acres that joins us yesterday and which I have made an offer to purchase. They looked at it asking whether the hunting would be very good even though neither hunts. My wife witnessed my obsession with large whitetail bucks for 20 plus years before I became obsessed with fruit trees. My daughter followed a similar but shorter path. As I looked at the property, I would have not noticed a 185 inch whitetail had he jumped in the back of the Polaris Ranger with us. All I could see was the absence of fruit trees and a bountiful supply of prime spots for them. As I explained why the location would be so great for apple trees, pear trees, peach trees and more trees! Only as a 11 year old pre-teen daughter can do, my daughter said "hey Dad, remember deer season it is just around the corner." I had to stop and laugh because she is right it is just around the corner.

My question is how many of you enjoy your fruit trees as much or more than you do hunting. I enjoy it so much that I am giving serious consideration to giving up hunting and simply run a limited number of hunts on our property for clients, friends and perhaps people looking for a place to hunt. I have killed more large bucks than one should get in five lifetimes and I would be content with never taking another. I am not; however, content with not buying any more property and making it better than when I found it through fruit trees and overall habitat management.

I still enjoy the quiet time in the woods (mid week) during the firearm season and my whole family enjoys the venison. Like you, I do not need to kill another buck for the wall. If I see one, I suppose I will kill him, but would much rather see my oldest daughter or my neighbor's son get him. (my wife and youngest daughter have each shot a nice buck.)

I will probably only hunt the bow season just before the rut. More or less just to be there with little intention of shooting a deer.

Apples are an obsession and I imagine cider will be one of my future projects.

My kids call my fruit trees "Dad's other family" <grin>

Not ready to hang up the bow or rifle yet, I still enjoy the challenge of hunting nice bucks. And we eat deer right down to the hooves. But I have to admit - these apples & crabs have me hooked. Also love to plant other trees - hawthorns, spruce ( various types ), witch hazel, serviceberry, etc. I love improving habitat in all phases !!

I'm hoping to not use a firearm while deer hunting this year....and could certainly envision the day I hang up the bow too. Deer hunting isn't that fun when you don't get to watch them

Deer hunting in Minnesota has turned into many hours of quiet time to read books. Sad.

The day I sit in a tree and freeze my a$$ off to read a book is the day they put me in the looney bin
Live here long enough and it happens. Did you see SD's post?

I happily wear the apple tree nut label :D. Just wish I was 30 years younger so I'd have that much more time to enjoy them. I hope to live by the slogan on the T-shirt in the SLN catalog that says "Plant Till You're Planted" :cool:.

Good Luck on your land purchase offer. You can never own enough land.;)

I happily wear the apple tree nut label :D. Just wish I was 30 years younger so I'd have that much more time to enjoy them. I hope to live by the slogan on the T-shirt in the SLN catalog that says "Plant Till You're Planted" :cool:.

Good Luck on your land purchase offer. You can never own enough land.;)

This is certainly true. I am young by today's standards (48), and do not want to wish my life away as my Grandmother often warned me against. I often find myself wishing for time to pass so that I can see what the trees will do, but I realize that is about as stupid as one can be. Last year I helped a close friend who is 60 layout and plant a 50 tree orchard on a farm he purchased. It was very rewarding. He has really taken to the trees. He is in fantastic shape (distance runner), and I hope he has 30 years to enjoy his place.

The thing to remember when we plant apple trees, crabs, nuts, etc., is that we're planting things that'll probably outlast us, and provide food for all kinds of critters AND people for many years to come. It's great to enjoy the hobby or " addiction " so to speak, but we're leaving something for the future, too. Think of all the apples, crabs, evergreens, nuts, & berries that will sprout from seeds of what we've planted now !! Some day a guy and his son may walk on the land on a crisp October day & find a couple apple or crab trees in an unexpected spot and wonder aloud - " I wonder how these got here ?? "

The thing to remember when we plant apple trees, crabs, nuts, etc., is that we're planting things that'll probably outlast us, and provide food for all kinds of critters AND people for many years to come. It's great to enjoy the hobby or " addiction " so to speak, but we're leaving something for the future, too. Think of all the apples, crabs, evergreens, nuts, & berries that will sprout from seeds of what we've planted now !! Some day a guy and his son may walk on the land on a crisp October day & find a couple apple or crab trees in an unexpected spot and wonder aloud - " I wonder how these got here ?? "

I was just going to post that. Some farms that we have bought and sold had some apple trees in and around the old farmsteads. I always wonder who planted them and how long ago. Pretty cool to leave a legacy of sorts!

I think am more in love with my apple trees now than hunting. Of coarse having very few deer around does make that possible. I am around 50 trees now and swore I was done. Well, I have 20 more on order for next year and looking at another 10. I have decided to plant my largest plot to apples as the clover just sits there with no deer to eat it(and it is some damn fine looking clover). I have promised myself I will not be planting apples on my new 65 acres because I am not planning on keeping it long term. However, I am sure that will change.

If you're rolling the land over I'd think it would be worth more with at least a small orchard on it?
Good point. I was originally planing an orchard but after seeing how much time I spend on them the thought of having them in two different locations is a little much. Maybe I will throw some B.118 root stocks in and let them go.

Good point. I was originally planing an orchard but after seeing how much time I spend on them the thought of having them in two different locations is a little much. Maybe I will throw some B.118 root stocks in and let them go.

I would add some dolgo rootstock, maybe ranetka, then top work a few into edible crabs. Try a few bigger apples, just for diversity......

Chummer,

Another thing that a lot of loggers do here is put clover seed on any of the log landing areas. After your cutting you should ask for that and keep them mowed. They'll look nice for any perspective buyers.
I am having them clear about 5 acres and doze off all debris. Stumps are being cut ground level and everything else is getting pushed to the edges. They are also smoothing out all the skidder trails. They were suppose to be done by now. I am hoping they will be finished in time to at least get some WR down. I don't have a time table to flip this property but I want to be able to sell it to buy the 170 acres that borders my camp when it comes up for sale. Best guess on when that will be available is 5-10 years.

I definitely enjoy my fruit trees more than anything else I've done to the farm but I'm very concerned about them after the bears got into them this year. Long term, I'm not sure if I'm not fighting a losing battle :(

I can definitely relate. Another interest of mine is my old, small tractors. I have planted food plots at my property and didn't even hunt the entire year! I think those days are behind me as my life has settled down some, but I enjoy working with the old tractors at least as much as I enjoy hunting.