Herron Ridge … Trials, Tribulations, & Some Good Stuff

My soybean plot that I overseeded with sorghum, millet, brassicas, & clover is doing well. Wanted to add some tall forage to the beans so the deer are more comfortable. I am overseeding with hairy vetch this weekend, then WR in a couple of weeks, setting up for high organic matter cover crop in the spring.

1660393618626.jpeg

1660394087601.jpeg

The chicory is doing well in this soy beans, millet, & clover plot.
1660393440171.jpeg

Out checking on things and found that a Chesnutt crab and Dolgo are still holding fruit into December. This was the first year for real fruit on these trees so pleased with their progress.

IMG_20221118_112254.jpg

1672584603802.jpeg

I'm jealous. Still waiting for something to pop. I still have a few years to wait.

I'm jealous. Still waiting for something to pop. I still have a few years to wait.

These were planted in 2018 and only had about 20% fruit production on the tree this year. Patience is definitely a requirement.

I’ve never had anything hang that long on those two varieties. Not even close. They all drop by late October at least. That’s crazy.

Out trying to do some hinge cutting on our ash trees. They have been infected with emerald ash borer so time to start killing them. Found the ash tree would not hinge and completley broke off at the cut joint. This was the case for trees from 5" to 18".

Any thoughts?

1675284735217.jpeg

1675284789876.jpeg

This is an area I am opening up for a transition food plot. I am also looking to open up the tree canopy to increase sunlight to the forest floor. Tree tops & stems will be used for travel corridors & bedding. Tree tops will also be important browse for deer this time of year.

1675284940245.jpeg

So I am now logging for firewood and hauling wood back to the house.

1675284850742.jpeg

Last edited:
That side by side looks like a snow beast with the tracks!
I'm going to try and do some cutting with my SIL in the next week or two myself.

That side by side looks like a snow beast with the tracks!
I'm going to try and do some cutting with my SIL in the next week or two myself.

It is becoming a game changer with where I can go and what I can drive through. Able to drive over 12"-14" logs. About 2/3 of the property is marsh which I could not really get around in, now I can. With the 950 cc engine plenty of power.

Last edited:
It is becoming a game changer with where I can go and what I can drive through. Able to drive over 12'-14" logs. About 2/3 of the property is marsh which I could not really, now I can. With the 950 cc engine plenty of power.
What is that side by side? brand?

Out trying to do some hinge cutting on our ash trees. They have been infected with emerald ash borer so time to start killing them. Found the ash tree would not hinge and completley broke off at the cut joint. This was the case for trees from 5" to 18".

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
Ash is a very straight grained wood and I feel one of the easiest ones to split by hand but still dense enough to provide good btu's

I also consider it one of the trees to barber chair easier than most so hinge cutting would not be high on my list of trees for that.

My experiences are with many cords of green ash (the tree, not the seasoning of the wood) which is a tree which likes to grow by water and lowland woods. But expect black ash or white ash to be similar. The big ones I drop that are already leaners I will wrap a chain around above the cut for extra precaution.

Hinge cut bigger than saplings, no thanks

Ash is a very straight grained wood and I feel one of the easiest ones to split by hand but still dense enough to provide good btu's

I also consider it one of the trees to barber chair easier than most so hinge cutting would not be high on my list of trees for that.

My experiences are with many cords of green ash (the tree, not the seasoning of the wood) which is a tree which likes to grow by water and lowland woods. But expect black ash or white ash to be similar. The big ones I drop that are already leaners I will wrap a chain around above the cut for extra precaution.

Hinge cut bigger than saplings, no thanks

That has been my experience, good safety thought on the chain!

Continue to work on removing the ash that have been infected with emerald ash borer. This wooded section is 26 acres and probably 60-70% ash.The lower half has a far amount of wet ground but some nice higher dry small spots. Starting to hinge cut and create some nice bedding areas. Most of the area has a very high canopy so I want to open up to add more sunlight. The hinge cutting should also break up the long site lines. There are white & red oak, birch, red cedar, and a few shagbark hickory that have hopefully latent seed ready to pop up. I will be planting about 300 white spruce, Norwegian spruce, and black hills spruce in various blocks.

The tree tops are also providing good browse food support this time of year.

1676985853341.jpeg

1676985823657.jpeg

1676985896894.jpeg

And building up the wood pile ready for splitting....

1676985999773.jpeg

Last edited:
Have an old apple tree that has been neglected. Starting the pruning and thinning out process. Not sure what type of apple, but was a good producer about 5-6 years ago. Got neglected and there were more pressing projects. First I started removing lower branches, then starting to remove internal vertical branches and shoots. It has a lean so i am planning on removing one of the main branches on the left.

1677242962077.jpeg

1677243299051.jpeg

1677243092035.jpeg

This was the apple tree I cleaned up last year. Needs some removal of ne vertical shoots.

1677243454461.jpeg

Attachments

• 1677243030566.jpeg
    1677243030566.jpeg
    747.1 KB · Views: 7
I found a bag of willow cuttings in the back of my barn frig from last February that I had forgot about. They were sealed in a plastic bag with wet paper towels. They had mold on them but I decided to throw them in a container of water and put them in the window. Was surprised after 2 weeks that many of them have sprouted branches and roots. Will be interesting to watch their growth as we are at least 5 weeks away from planting.

1679231408778.jpeg

Love the old barn! The stone foundations are way cool, wish I had one like that. Fruit trees are looking really good.

First camera pull of the year. These 2 are from one camera coming out of semi sanctuary from their bedding.

Some serious brow tines on this guy ...

brow tine 8-18-23.png

BT 2 Picture2.png

Another up and comer ...

buck 08120038.jpg

These guys are down in our creek bottom. Good bedding down there and they are typically moving to and from food sources.

1692538307412.png

1692538362359.png

If this guy makes t through the season, will be fun to watch him. Probably a 3 yo and is about 20" wide.

1692538472933.png

Well the winter is upon us and the corn and bean fields around are picked pretty clean. Glad i planted turnips & radishes as they are now providing good hi carb food sources for the deer. Love seeing them with greens hanging out of their mouth eating the bulbs. Should help them bulk up a bit before winter.

1703794653955.png