Herd spreader

wildfire

5 year old buck +
Is $750 for model #750 spreader a good price

New? Is that a "spreader" or a "seeder? That model number does not sound familiar to me.

I have a 3 Point Herd Seeder that I found on CL one day.....could not refuse the price. Paid the guy his asking price of $150. Now I have two Herd Seeders as I had already bought one for my 4 Wheeler.

I don't know if that's a good price or not. I posted a wanted on craigslist a few weeks ago for a spreader and the only reply I got was for a Herd 750. He wanted $750. I believe they are double that new. I'm more looking for a smaller one, more of a 250-lb capacity cone spreader, so I passed.

That's it, how does it look? Within 20 minutes from house. 750#

Last edited:
What do you want to use it for Jerry? To me it's not a seeder for small seeds. Likely good with fertilizer or oats and rye etc. But you can buy a new Cosmo 3 point spreader for about $400 IIRC. They will do everything this would do IMO. No?

Edit. Just was reading the Herd site. This seeder / spreader sells new for $1600. Can do allot of broadcasting with it and will seed down to 3# / acre. Nice. Likely a fair price.

Last edited:
I called, and asked if it could spread ag lime, said yes, it has an agitator. Would use it not as a seeder, but for fertilizer and lime. Is there something for less money that would do this?

Ag Lime would not work with this spreader. You could use DRY lime in it - like bagged lime from Fleet.......but not "AG-LIME". Pell lime would also work well.

Fertilizer will work out of any cone-style spreader you buy. So will wheat, rye and oats.

A drop spreader (like EZ Flow) is about the most economical way to spread Ag Lime. Anything under $500 for a GOOD drop spreader is "worth it" in my book. How much are you considering putting down? (tons)

I called, and asked if it could spread ag lime, said yes, it has an agitator. Would use it not as a seeder, but for fertilizer and lime. Is there something for less money that would do this?

Despite what the guy is telling you......I do NOT think that spreader will handle Ag Lime.

FOR SPREADING DOLOMITE OR DEHYDRATED LIME:
Not Wet Ag Lime!
1. PART #158 LIME AGITATOR MUST BE INSTALLED.
2. WIDTH OF SPREAD WILL BE ABOUT 14 FEET.
3. UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS, 1200 LBS. OF DOLOMITE OR DEHYDRATED LIME WILL GO THROUGH A 1" SEED-GATE OPENING IN 6 MINUTES.
4. FILL THE HOPPER IN THE FIELD ONLY: DO NOT DRIVE ANY EXTRA OR UNNECESSARY DISTANCE OR THE LIME WILL PACK IN THE HOPPER AND NOT ALLOW IT TO FEED TO THE FAN.
5. DO NOT LEAVE ANY LIME IN THE HOPPER OVER NIGHT OR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME OR IT WILL PACK AND NOT FLOW OUT OF THE HOPPER TO THE FAN.
6. RUN THE TRACTOR P.T.O. AT 540 R.P.M. THE TRACTOR MAY BE RUN SLOWER ONLY TO KEEP THE DUST DOWN. HOWEVER, DO NOT RUN THE P.T.O. UNDER 300 R.P.M. AT ANY TIME OR THE LIME WILL PLUG AND NOT FLOW THROUGH THE OPENING.
7. ENGAGE THE TRACTOR P.T.O. SLOWLY WITH THE LIME AGITATOR INSTALLED OR YOU WILL SHEAR THE BOLT (PART #422) THAT CONNECTS THE LIME AGITATOR TO THE GEARBOX.
8. DO NOT USE THE #158 LIME AGITATOR FOR SPREADING FERTILIZER OR SEEDS. WHEN SPREADING FERTILIZER OR SEED BE SURE TO REPLACE THE #158 LIME AGITATOR WITH THE STANDARD #147 AGITATOR.

That is from the Herd 750 manual.

http://www.kascomfg.com/public/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/7501.pdf

Im not sure if you can buy "dry" ag-lime.

WILDFIRE - I have a New Idea 101 that is made for spreading ag lime. It is a 9 footer I believe, and if you figure out how much it will cost to split it into 2 functioning units, it may work out you can have a 4 or 5 footer for the cost of the split and build.

Our coop has an EZ Flo we paid $300 for on craigslist WTB ad, but I could use a smaller unit for harder to reach areas.

If you are interested just get some input here on what the cost would.

I sold a ten foot EZ Flow to a guy that never used it. It's located near Crosslake MN. I believe he would sell it again. Price would likely be about $450 ?? (at least that is what he paid me).....and it was in very good condition.

I had bought TWO spreaders for about $100 a piece and had to drive some to pick one up. I just couldn't refuse the TWO good deals I found from a WTB on CL. I decided to convert the lesser quality spreader to a six footer......just in case it didn't work out. My narrow spreader DID work out well. So I sold the better spreader.

WILDFIRE - I have a New Idea 101 that is made for spreading ag lime. It is a 9 footer I believe, and if you figure out how much it will cost to split it into 2 functioning units, it may work out you can have a 4 or 5 footer for the cost of the split and build.

Our coop has an EZ Flo we paid $300 for on craigslist WTB ad, but I could use a smaller unit for harder to reach areas.

If you are interested just get some input here on what the cost would.

Bat Man: Not to rain on your idea......but.....I don't think it's likely that you could make a two-fur out of that spreader. To section one down you almost NEED to retain the hubs on either side and the center bearings and gate operator. I don't see it as cost effective to go for the two-fur idea. Of course......I been wrong before. ;)

Roger that foggy. Not something I could ever tackle but if it would have worked been a good deal.

Foggy is right, it would not be cost effective to try to make 2 from 1. I bought a 10' unit and sectioned it to be 6' wide by removing 2' from each half. I had to retain the center section and both ends. The center for the bearing support, gate opener and the ends to drive the auger for each half.

The Herd WILL NOT spread ag lime. $750 isn't bad. Not great but not bad.