Herbicide prices are interesting.

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
For most of us we do not buy a 300 plus gallon container of herbicides. While I buy more than most I still find the strangest deals.
For example, at Rural King yesterday they had 1 gallon containers of 2,4d for $13 and 2.5 gallon containers for $54. Hmm??? 3. times 13 is 39.. 3 gallons minus 2.5 gallons is .5 gallons more for $15 less.
I checked Keystone and they were at 44 or 45 dollars for 2.5 gallons so I bought every 1 gallon container of 2,4d they had at Rural King - 50 gallons in all.

The same thing for Gly. It is normally $31 for a 2.5 gallon container there which is much cheaper than what the sell 15 and 30 gallon containers for by the gallon.

Now back to 2,4d look at the label IMG_3713.JPG

It is nearly 50% 2,4D (active ingredient). I always cut my application rate in half and use it on clover plots rather Butrac 2,4dB. Why?

Look at the label IMG_3712.JPG

It is roughly 25% of the active ingredient.

Butyrac 200 calls for 1-3 qts per acre. I normally go with 2. If I use my 2,4d at 1/2 the rate I am there and if I buy 1 gallon instead of the 2.5 gallon price I save enough money to buy and apple tree!

Sorry for all the typos I have not yet gotten use to needing reading glasses so I never carry them with me so that makes this I pad screen look like something after a really bad hangover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is funny you mention that the smaller container is cheaper than the larger when comparing the overall cost per unit measure. I have found this in many other situations as well, namely grocery shopping. My wife and I like to drink Folgers Dark Silk or whatever it is called. Whenever we go to Walmart to buy it we always compare the largest container to the medium one and for whatever reason, the medium one is always just a touch cheaper when comparing the cost per pound. My thought is these stores are smartening up and know consumers often go in thinking the bigger container must be the cheapest per unit measure. Now I look into the details much more closely!

so your saying you just cut your 24-d rate in half an you essentialy have butyric. and it hasn't harmed your clover?

so your saying you just cut your 24-d rate in half an you essentialy have butyric. and it hasn't harmed your clover?
I'm no chemist but I think he is wrong and that those active ingredients are different, the naming is close but definitely not the same. Just my two cents.

2 4 D will kill clover. 2 4 DB and Butyrac 200 are the same, they kill broadleaf weeds in clover and won't harm the clover.

For most of us we do not buy a 300 plus gallon container of herbicides. While I buy more than most I still find the strangest deals.
For example, at Rural King yesterday they had 1 gallon containers of 2,4d for $13 and 2.5 gallon containers for $54. Hmm??? 3. times 13 is 39.. 3 gallons minus 2.5 gallons is .5 gallons more for $15 less.
I checked Keystone and they were at 44 or 45 dollars for 2.5 gallons so I bought every 1 gallon container of 2,4d they had at Rural King - 50 gallons in all.

The same thing for Gly. It is normally $31 for a 2.5 gallon container there which is much cheaper than what the sell 15 and 30 gallon containers for by the gallon.

Now back to 2,4d look at the label View attachment 18776

It is nearly 50% 2,4D (active ingredient). I always cut my application rate in half and use it on clover plots rather Butrac 2,4dB. Why?

Look at the label View attachment 18777

It is roughly 25% of the active ingredient.

Butyrac 200 calls for 1-3 qts per acre. I normally go with 2. If I use my 2,4d at 1/2 the rate I am there and if I buy 1 gallon instead of the 2.5 gallon price I save enough money to buy and apple tree!

Sorry for all the typos I have not yet gotten use to needing reading glasses so I never carry them with me so that makes this I pad screen look like something after a really bad hangover.

I don't think you ever get used to reading glasses. After my previous life of perfect eyesight, I often find myself in denial and type away with my glasses in my pocket lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Correct I have done that for years. It MIGHT stress it a little if you spray in August when it is 100 degrees but I have not had any problems.

2 4 D will kill clover. 2 4 DB and Butyrac 200 are the same, they kill broadleaf weeds in clover and won't harm the clover.

2,4D and 2,4DB (Butyrac) are the same chemical. Butyrac is simply diluted a lower percentage.

2,4D and 2,4DB (Butyrac) are the same chemical. Butyrac is simply diluted a lower percentage.
You should read those labels again ..... slowly. :emoji_wink:

You should read those labels again ..... slowly. :emoji_wink:

I am aware of the fact that one use Buytric acid and one uses Acetic acid. However, they both are 2,4-Dichlorophenoxy.

The Butryrac 200 is 4-(2,4-Dichlorophenoxy). While a portion of the chemical makeup is the same, the two different products function differently. It is not simply a matter of concentration.

The Butryrac 200 is 4-(2,4-Dichlorophenoxy). While a portion of the chemical makeup is the same, the two different products function differently. It is not simply a matter of concentration.

That part I understand as well. However, my original point which wasn’t made as well as it could have been, and for that I apologize, is that by using a lower concentration of 2,4d you will not kill clover if you apply 1 quart per acre.

Perhaps. A lower concentration of glyphosate will not kill clover either. You might set it back some what. Clover is hard to kill, multiple doses of both gly and/or 2,4-D may be required. With non-RR sugarbeets I tried "Stinger" once ... that kills clover. :emoji_wink:

Agree with Sag. If it's about lower cost with herbicides then use glyphosate at 1 oz per gallon and spray away. Glyphosate at a reduced rate will take care of most weeds and grasses in clover. It will set the clover back a little but it won't kill it.

That part I understand as well. However, my original point which wasn’t made as well as it could have been, and for that I apologize, is that by using a lower concentration of 2,4d you will not kill clover if you apply 1 quart per acre.

Chemical weed and grass control - Broadleaf weeds including pigweed, ragweed, coffeeweed and others may become problematic in food plots as well as weedy grasses such as crabgrass, signalgrass, panicums, johnsongrass, etc. If a height differential exists between weeds and the clover, glyphosate (the active ingredient in Roundup) can be applied with a wiper or rope-wick type of device to weeds growing above the clover canopy. Care should be taken to prevent the herbicide mixture from coming into contact with the clover foliage. A selective herbicide that only controls grassy weeds can be broadcast over pure clover stands to kill or suppress numerous annual and perennial grasses without harming the clover. Extension weed control recommendations in some states include the use of low rates of 2,4-D amine (1pt/A or less) on well established stands of perennial white clover to control/suppress many broadleaf weeds when they are less than 3 inches in height. (Consult with the local university extension office for local herbicide recommendations and rates.) To minimize clover injury, herbicides should be applied when clover is free from drought and heat stress.

This comes from Pennington's website with regard to durana. I'll let you know in a few days if it's accurate. I just sprayed one of my 1/2 acre plots with 8 ozs of 2,4D amine with ams