Help with plans

Turkish

5 year old buck +
We have a 2-3 acre plot that we did a partial throw and mow, partial disk and sow method on last fall. The throw and mow worked great, the disked portion was choked out with volunteer ryegrass. A PITA, but it had the hidden benefit of converting a no-till skeptic.

We should've planted a summer crop when all the fall crops died, but we did not. The no-tilled portion has plenty of goatweed and native growth for us to spray and mow on top of this year's fall throw and mow attempt.

The portion that was choked with ryegrass is what has me a little stumped. It's kept the weeds suppressed, but it's just a dense flat mat of straw now. I think it is flat enough that a mower wouldn't do much. I'm thinking of lightly disking and planting this portion of the field to strictly brassicas. That way, I can spray the ryegrass that sprouts. Any thoughts? Any other options for planting methods into a dense straw mat?

If you turn the RPM up (bush hog, I assume), it may lift the ryegrass up for clipping. In that case, spread seed, mow, and wait. Hopefully, you do all this with rain imminent.

Another option would be to run a drag through it and stir up the dead mat.

I would throw a heavy dose of wheat and clover into the laid over grass then drag over the whole mess with a section of chain link fencing, or a log. Another till will just perpetuate the rye grass problem.

I guess I thought with brassicas, we coul let the ryegrass come on up, and then spray it with a grass-selective herbicide. I left that part of my thought process out of the OP. Maybe I'll have better luck mowing the mat than I think.