Help with pear tree

Nova

5 year old buck +
There is a real old pear tree on the land my work used to own. They sold the 2 acre chuck this tree is on and this fall or early next spring the land will be cleared. I just checked the tree and it's loaded with pears. What's the best way to preserve the genetics of this tree? Take some of the pears an try to grow trees from seed, or take some grafts off the tree and graft them to root stock? If grafting is the answer, when do I take the grafts?

Attachments

• 20180809_134316.jpg
    20180809_134316.jpg
    779.9 KB · Views: 22
If you have a pear tree of your own cut few new scions and graft them on this year to store them until you can graft to a root stock.

If you have a pear tree of your own cut few new scions and graft them on this year to store them until you can graft to a root stock.
Thanks, what time of year should I do that? Is now ok?
Brings up another question, should I just graft them to a pear tree I have that isn't producing pears and just leave them on it?

You could try T-budding a couple of buds this fall onto an existing pear that you have.

Thanks, what time of year should I do that? Is now ok?
Brings up another question, should I just graft them to a pear tree I have that isn't producing pears and just leave them on it?

Now is a good time if the tree is going to be removed next year.

appreciate the help, I will grab some scion from the tree next week. I like the t-budding idea to, so that may happen next week also.