Help with an Oak

justagy

Buck Fawn
20240731_151806.jpg20240731_151818.jpg
I am new to Oaks. Planted this Burr last year. East central WI. Wet spring and early summer. Recently hot and dry. If blight I need to get it out of here

Looks like stress to me. I would think it will be okay.

How dry is the soil at the base of tree?

How big a pot was it in when bought it?

In one year I would expect to not have much more root growth than the size of the pot it was in.

As in a five gallon pot = 10 gallon root size now at best.

I bet the rootball was growing in circles and it is having a hard time growing out into the soil, it will probably overcome this and do well once roots start to reach out a little.

I would check the soil and water the tree if necessary. It doesn't look like oak wilt and it just seems a little stressed to me. I'd keep it watered and hope for the best.

Is there a chance it has been too wet? It looks like moisture stress to me - either too much or too little.

Give it time, it should be fine.

I planted several mark down Bur oaks years ago at a late season sale they did almost nothing for about 10 years I was about to take a tile spade and start cutting thru the roots to stimulate growth and they finally started putting on some growth that year. Bur oak acorns I planted 5 years latter have overtaken the potted trees.

Cutting roots as mentioned is important but also if you plant wheres there is hard pan you may need to take an auger and drill down right outside root ball.I used a 2 inch auger in 3 places filled dirt back in and watered.Don't get to close to trunk