Heirloom Whole Wheat Bread From Scratch

SD51555

5 year old buck +
After about 60 tries it seems, I’m closing in on perfect. I was struggling to get the proper rise and to get that rise to hold thru the bake. I switched to a narrower pan to force that loaf up, and it’s a winner.

I’ve just got to tweek the bake time and rise time, and go back to greasing the pan. I didn’t like the crust on a no-grease loaf.

I also got this down to 9 minutes (not counting grinding/milling) start to pan per loaf, one hour to rise, one hour to bake.

Whole wheat flour
Water
Salt
Yeast

Pay no mind to that one on the left. The rise got away from me and that one blew its guts over the edge of the pan.

f5a3d7be1b1ec597c65e8ada9591152d.jpg

6f8fa9be17e82c1c7226ff1a38d5b2a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet that's great with some canned bear meat and gravy! Or maybe some homegrown pork.

I bet that's great with some canned bear meat and gravy! Or maybe some homegrown pork.
Yeah man! I've got three jars of bear left, and I'm saving them for something big.

This whole idea is just getting to the starting line. Last weekend I had some of this bread (toast) with our pork made into biscuit gravy. Holy buckets was that good. Once I have this basic bread thing aced, then it's on to zucchini bread, muffins, and more crackers. When I first started this, I wondered who on earth would buy a 50lb bag of this stuff. Won't be long and we'll be getting a group rate on a pallet. And after that a pro-box.

Einkorn cheez-its.

No vegetable oil
No preservatives
+ fiber

Freshly ground flour
Water
Himalayan pink salt
Butter
Pepperjack
Parmesan

d87dfeb59f5227cd48d92817a1f53c57.jpg

I'd like some step by step pics of those crackers!
They are very simple and fairly quick aside from the fridge time to get the dough to set up. As these things work out, I keep having to buy process improvement stuff. Now I need cookie sheets to increase the size of my batches in the oven.

And they are very good. Because the fiber is still in there, you're not going to eat more than maybe 20 of those. Throw in a glass of water and you're stuffed.

Love the home made bread!

The wife and I have completely switched over from “packaged” name brand bread to pretty much just using more natural bread from a local grocery store bakery.
Marbled rye is what we buy the most of, doesn’t keep as long as packaged bread with all the additives but is way healthier for us.

Got the bakery fired up again today. Kicked out more einkorn bread. I used blueberry syrup in one of the loaves to boost the yeast. Do you think I remembered to keep track of which one that was?

9ece7748d99b2317222f3ad4bae5b95f.jpg

More work in the kitchen. I tried making two pound doughs to cut down on mixer time, and up the yield. It’s hard to pace the first and last dough so they rise at the same rate, so prep speed matters. If 6 works, that’ll probably be my max unless I can figure out how to bake 12 in my oven at once and pace all 12 loaves on rising.

So far so good. They’re in the oven now.

27ddcfc082152d60cc7e636836baa74a.jpg

6 is good.

d4dbf37c350f4be263af4e8a320b2faa.jpg

Einkorn cheez-its.

No vegetable oil
No preservatives
+ fiber

Freshly ground flour
Water
Himalayan pink salt
Butter
Pepperjack
Parmesan

d87dfeb59f5227cd48d92817a1f53c57.jpg

Those look like cheezits I might eat! I strongly dislike the Cheezits you buy at the store.